Sunday, November 11, 2012

Poppies

Photobucket Today is Remembrance Day in Canada - a day that has been recognized each year since the First World War. It's a day to remember soldiers who died in the line of duty and to recognize the veterans who are still with us today. A symbol of that remembrance is the poppy, worn on your left side.

Photobucket This year, with pressure from my friend Mishelle, I sold my own, handmade felt poppies to raise money for the Poppy Fund. I have been making these flowers for nearly a year now and have worn a red one on my jacket for months. The other day, Mishelle mentioned to me that she thought my flower would make the perfect poppy, especially since it has a real pin on the back, so it doesn't stab you or fall off. With some more encouragement and graphic design/marketing help, last week, Mishelle had my poppies in two shops in Jasper and, in no time, I had the shop owners asking me for more.

Photobucket Tomorrow I'll pick up the money and find out how many I sold and how much I raised for charity. I'm really excited about the success of this little venture and I'm really grateful to have had Mishelle pushing me to just jump in with both feet. Generally, I have a hard time marketing myself and seeing value in my own work, so having her take the reins with branding and talking to businesses was an incredible help. And, it also opened me up to a greater opportunity...

One of the shops has asked that I continue making my pins for them, in different colours for each season! So, what started as an opportunity to give back to a worthy cause, has actually turned into a bit of a business opportunity that can continue year-round. Exciting, right!!?

14 comments:

  1. This is such a nice way to remember. Your pins looks really nice, and well done on the success and possible expansion! Very exciting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so amazing! I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now but I never commented before. But this post actually made me say these words out loud: "Sooo good for you, well done Nicole!" My husband replied: "Yeah, nicely done, Nicole. Who is she?" Anyway, I hope this little business works out for you, you deserve it really!

    Your friend, Csilla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this. I really appreciate not only that you've been reading Gypsy in Jasper, but also that you would take the time to comment, and that my success is enough to make you speak to your computer screen (I totally do that!!). I'm grateful to have you here and I hope to see more of you around these parts. ;)

      xx

      Delete
  3. Those are super cute! I have donated and got 3 poppies this year. Lost all three. Didn't even have one to wear today :( LOL

    Cheers,
    Messy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just back from the ceremony here in good old Gold River.
    Good for you, Nicole.
    You make your Daddy-o very proud!
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's absolutely amazing Nicole, and so beyond fantastic that one of the store want you to continue making them throughout the year! I hope you were able to raise a lot of money for the Poppy Fund!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soo great! Awesome job, and awesome heart to do this project, glad to see the kindness rebounded back with more opportunity to craft/sell!!
    you rock.
    mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! :) They're lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those poppies are beautiful! I can see why they would have sold well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats awesome, girl! Way to rock. Way to rock. so. hard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. From one Canadian to another... these are fantastic!
    I always lose poppies - this is lovely.

    http://swagnstyle.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG - those are beautiful! Great job! I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE THESE!!! What a beautiful flower for a wonderful cause :)

    ReplyDelete