Monday, November 26, 2012

Silly snowshoes

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

My pals Maarty and Mishelle and I went for a snowshoeing adventure on Saturday, only to find out we had picked a terrible location with very little snow. So, we trudged around in our snowshoes, scarping against every rock that was poking out from beneath the snow. It was a bit of bummer, but we still had a great time. Plus, now we're all committed to going again, so we can actually experience snowshoeing... you know, with some actual snow.

On Sunday, we all went skiing at Marmot Basin. Although we managed to do a ton of runs, the day was sort of tainted by a calamity of errors. The first: I had rented boots (as I'm waiting for my new ones to arrive in the mail) and they were so tight that within 10 minutes of being on, I had lost feeling in my toes. And, when I took them off, I literally had pins and needles. Yikes! So, anyway, I rented new ones and all was well.

Then, later in the day, Mishelle injured her ankle, taking her out of commission. So, Maarty and I skied to the parking lot to get the car and when I was attempting to do a wide turn, to get myself turned around, Waldo ended up in the ditch. Yup. That happened. So, Maarty (who's a ski patroller by day) grabbed his avalanche shovel and started digging my wheels out. After his many efforts, it didn't work. So, a guy who Maarty works with used a HUGE forklift type thing to drag my car out. How embarrassing.

From there, we went to pick Mishelle up at the chalet, Maarty carried her to the car and we took her to the hospital. She didn't break anything, but she sure did bungle herself up good.

It was a weekend of adventures, that's for sure.

How was your weekend? Any trips to the hospital or run-ins with a ditch?

13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photographs! You capture the beauty of snow so well, without all that nasty cold. :P

    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, sounds like an adventure for sure! I love me a good snowshoe day, but too bad you didn't have enough snow! The last couple of years we would go to the Sierra Nevadas near Lake Tahoe, where it snows many meters of snow every season. And it's warm to boot! Looks like you had fun though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing photos but WOW that sounds like a crazy day! I have onyl been skiing a few times and I've been hurt every single time. I even got hurt the last time I went to a resort and said "i'm not going to ski because I always get hurt". I ended up going tubing instead and flipping over my tube and landing on my head. I just have bad luck haha.
    I'm glad your friend (and waldo) are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that does sound like quite the adventuresome weekend! glad everyone made it out alive ;)

    no hospital runs or falling into ditches here - just lots of baking, crocheting and playing on the internet- very low key weekend, it was nice =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to try snowshoeing. Is it pretty much like the motion you use when x country skiing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, what a series of unfortunate events! I am glad you guys made the best of it though! The scenery is stunning, it looks so much like Colorado :)
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've had my car taken out of a ditch by a forklift too once.
    no joke!

    xo the egg out west.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! That's not funny. But it kind of is. I'm glad everything turned out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! so much snow! everything melted up here and we're looking forward to it snowing again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahh this sounds like a fantastic way to spend a weekend (aside from the ankle injury of course). i'd love to go snowshoeing in northern michigan at some point this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow that snow looks so beautiful...I'm jealous! sorry about the injury though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh this makes me miss Jasper so much! I lived there during the summer while working at JPL, wish I got to spend a winter there. Thankfully I will be visiting there for two weeks to visit my boyfriend. Going to make him go snowshoeing with me. Thanks for reminding me how beautiful Jasper is!

    Summer

    www.ohsummercandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete