Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thankful Tuesdays: kitchen makeover

Photobucket
Source

Kitchens are where it's at. No matter who's house I'm in, it seems my pals and I always end up in the kitchen for a good portion of the evening. We stand around or sprawl out on the counters and just chat the day or night away. There's just something cozy about a kitchen. When I lived in Yellowknife, my roommate and I would spend hours on end sitting on the kitchen counter talking, drinking, making dinner, eating dinner and just being together. We would solve each others problems and share hundreds of laughs from those perches, with our backs up against the cupboards and our legs dangling over the edge. I look back on those talks so fondly. In fact, I'd even go as far as saying, I miss them dearly.

All of this is to say, I love kitchens, whether they're being used for cooking or socializing, I just downright love them.

So, when my landlord told me a couple weeks back that he wanted to give mine a makeover, of course, I celebrated with enthusiastic happy dances. And then, when the work began last week, the happy dances continued. And, now that the work is just about complete (just grouting to go!), I'm basically a convulsing mess of happiness. So, without futher ado, here for you are some before and after shots of our wee-little apartment kitchen. Let's begin with a fun one, shall we?


This was one of our apartment photos when we first moved in. (You can find the rest of the series here, here and here.)

Photobucket

So, this is what our kitchen used to look like. It was dark and old and it looked like something straight out of the 70s. But now, that has all changed!

Photobucket
Photobucket
So, this is what my new kitchen looks like without the tiles that were just installed yesterday. I'll post photos when the whole thing is complete. But, I was just too excited to share the transformation, so I decided not to wait until the grouting is complete to post about this lovely little makeover.

Ian and I have the best landlord in the world. Until now, I have never had one that legitimately cared about his tenants the way that ours does. When we moved in one year ago, he asked the old tenant what her one complaint was about the suite and she said the cabinets. On that day, Don promised us we would get new ones, although he wasn't sure when. Well, a year later, here we are with a brand new kitchen. I'd say that's a pretty decent turn around considering he's in charge of dozens, if not hundreds, of suites around town. (We've also got new carpets since we moved in!)

So this week I'm thankful for my awesome landlord, my new kitchen and, on a totally unrelated note, beards.

What are you thankful for? Do you have an amazing landlord?

14 comments:

  1. Your landlord rocks! I've never had one that really invests their time in their properties. I remember what a bitch it was in my last place to fight for double-paned windows so there wouldn't be sheets of ice on the inside when I woke up throughout winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kitchen looks fantastic! Your have some pretty amazing landlords for sure! I think I only had one landlord that actually cared about my things and myself, and I think that was only because she was paid too, hehe! I cannot wait to see pictures with the tile in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am my own landlord. I let myself put all the holes in the walls I want, paint anything any colour. And one day I will let myself get new kitchen cabinets AND new floors! Yay me!

    Your kitchen looks lovely! I can't wait to see the tile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for good landlords! I've had a few doozy's in my past.. glad to be a home-owner now that we're all 'grown up/in debt' and what not! ;o)
    Beards?! Awesome. Love those too.. on my man, that is.
    Kitchens are the communal connector spot for sure.. another reason our NEXT house must have a big one!
    Happy for your slick reno Nicole!
    mel ;o)
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not unfortunately have an amazing land lord... this fall I had my patio furniture in my living room for a month because he posted a notice 'we will be repainting the balconies, please have all your personal belongings removed until work is completed' they slowly painted then one by one with no schedule until the weather got bad....mine never got painted :(.....plus he just kind creeps me out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job!!! Looks like it is coming along well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your landlord really makes all the difference. Our last one was like another parent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so kind! I live in a complex so we don't get to know a "landlord" but they did redo our kitchens last year. They were SO disgusting.
    I love the new design, it looks so clean and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome! I'm a kitchen person too :)

    Your new kitchen is super lovely. The cabinets are a definite improvement. What a great landlord.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, it's lovely. It's so open looking now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cabinets really make the whole place look brighter. I'm grateful for our little Christmas tree which we just put up last night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beards.
    i'm thankful for beards, too.
    and movember, for that matter.
    i'm sad it's almost over.

    lovely new kitchen, miss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, I love it!

    My fiance and I are going to be moving out of this place we're in now in September and I can't wait to decorate :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my word, I love your apartment photos! so funny! Where Ian's about to eat you and you have such a worried look on your face; hehhe! and boot soup?! you guys are awesome.

    ReplyDelete