Thursday, November 15, 2012

What to Wear: to a family dinner


Hey, hey, hey! Sorry for getting all deep yesterday. I just, kind of, wanted to scream from the rooftops a wee bit. Obviously I'm not a "recovered" people-pleaser yet, but the fact that I'm making strides to overcome the overbearing need to please is something I needed to say out loud. I figure, that way, I am accountable to all of you, as much as I am to myself.

So, anyway, onto the lighthearted task at hand: What to Wear. This week the ladies and I are dressing for dinner with the fam jam. I haven't had a family dinner in awhile, as Ian and I are both living a fair distance from our respective fams, but when we were living in Yellowknife, we had dinner every Sunday with his parents. So, I thought about what I used to wear for such an occasion and put this together...

Photobucket
You might note that I'm indoors for these photos, with no beautiful mountains or wilderness in the background. You see, now that it's winter in these here parts, it's tough to get outside for a photoshoot before the sun goes down. (It's seriously dark at about 5 p.m. these days!) So, yesterday, I had to set up the tripod in the living room for a quick and dirty shoot, complete with an external flash.

Photobucket

For dinner with the parents, I would usually be comfortable, colourful and put together. So, for this outfit, I went with my new comfy yellow shirt. I know it's totally a spring colour, but I love how bright it is. It's just such a nice contrast from the gloomy winter days we're having. I bought the shirt and belt at Value Village when I was in Edmonton a few weeks back. I actually had a good haul that day. (It must have had something to with shopping with Lisa! She's a good little shopper, that one.)

Photobucket

From top to bottom:
Earrings: Ardenes
T-shirt: Ardenes
Shirt: Value Village
Sweater: Walmart
Pants: American Eagle
Shoes: Delia's

Photobucket

Don't forget to check out what the other What to Wear ladies put together for their fam dinner outfits:

Katherine: thinkin' outloud

Be sure to pop by next time when we dress for a snowy day (or a rainy day, depending on where the What to Wearer lives!) If you want to join in the What to Wear fun, throw me an email. We welcome all the fashionistas out there to join us in this little style adventure.

9 comments:

  1. Very cute! And I totally spaced (again). I really need to get this in my calendar! And, in regard to your post from yesterday...I def. used to be a people pleaser, and to some extent I still am, but I think that as you grow older you start to naturally give to who appreciates it...it becomes more of a circle of give and take. The takers sort of get sifted out naturally, or at least they did for me. :) I think it's good to have an open and giving heart, and to give when it feels right and when it's needed. The rest will work itself out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Amanda. I have to say, I can't wait to feel like I'm free from the burden of saying "YES, YES, YES. Please walk all over me and tell me all your problems and then not fix them." You're right, I don't want to get to a point where I no longer give. I just want to get to a point where I don't exhaust myself by giving too much. I want to give to the people who appreciate it and are happy to give a little back, as well.
      Knowing that you figured out a way to make that happen is a great motivator. It means I can do this!
      Thanks again. xx

      Delete
  2. You are very cute! I totally recognized the shirt & belt right away. It was very fun thrifting with you...you are the boss! Still jealous of that sweet army jacket you snagged, but whatever. I have yet to wear that shirt with the shoulder pads and giant roses, but it's moving up in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this outfit; the sweater, the earrings, all of it! and your glasses arrre, awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo cute! That sweater is the best and your glasses are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh your earrings!! I love peacocks :) And this is a fun outfit, I like the yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That yellow makes me happy. It's so bright and lemon! I love it. And I really like how you paired it with the gray striped sweater and brown belt. Nice choices, ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! So put together with fun pops of color- perfect! Thrifting belts is the only way to go, I seriously scoff at belt prices even at Target :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a great outfit for an occasion like that:) And I really like those earrings.

    Also, I just have to say this, your glasses look so incredibly good on you!

    blueeyednightowl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete