Saturday, December 1, 2012

At this time last year: November

I always find it so interesting to look back and see what I was up to exactly one year ago. It's just amazing to me to see where I've been, what I've done and who I've become in such a short period of time. In a physical sense, I look different from one year ago. I have short hair now. I wear glasses, and I even dress differently. Professionally, I moved from one reporting job to another. Emotionally, I've grown attached to Jasper and my love for Ian has increased greatly. And mentally, I've grown a lot as well. I'm learning to say no. I'm learning to stand up for myself. And, I'm SLOWLY learning to let things go. Yup, all of that in just one year. I'm like a whole new woman! (That made me think of that Aladdin song, A Whole New World. Maybe a magic carpet ride is in store for me!! Or maybe I'm just a nut bar. Who knows.)

Anyway, here's what I was up to last November...


I was rebranding and redesigning my blog to become Gypsy in Jasper. Before I moved down south last October and before I REALLY started putting effort into this little space, I was Newly Northern Nicole, with a header that looked like this:



On top of redesigning my online world, I was also redesigning cheap furniture I had bought for our brand new apartment. I even went so far as attempting to refinish a dresser. I'll admit, it's a terrible, piece of junk dresser, but after spending hours sanding, priming and painting, this little guy isn't going anywhere. He still has a permanent spot in our bedroom, and as long as I have say in things, he's staying put.

Photobucket

Another part of our moving in and getting settled process was taking apartment photos. My family and friends had asked to see what our new pad looks like, so I decided, rather than just sending straight, boring photos of our house, Ian and I would do something a little more exciting. So we did a little bit of this...

To see more apartment photos, go here, here and here.


Being new to Jasper, we also took a good number of wildlife photos last year. Or, at least, I did. This little guy was digging in the snow with his hoof and nose to find some food hiding underneath the icy cold layer of fluffy stuff. Isn't he cute all covered in snow?



Oh! And, of course, being new in town, our first full month was also spent hiking all of the close-to-town trails in search of the best view of Pyramid Mountain.



So, that's what I was up to last year. Do you remember what you were doing? Has life changed for you since then?

14 comments:

  1. Well you look like you have had a good time! I can't really think what I did last November will have to go look back on my blog and see what I posted about. Found you via the Totally Awesome Blog hop, so thought I should say Hi!
    Daisy Dayz
    Cross-Jones-Photography

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is always such a fun glance into your world! I should do it just to remind myself where/what I've been up to (since I forget yesterday, even!).
    Soooo... you and I have the same dance moves it looks like.. duck face, fingers pointing, hips jiving - check! (I've also been known to do karate kid moves back in the day - you know, to keep guys away on the dance floor)! True story.
    Anywho! Happy weekend to you buddy ol' pal.
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I have said this before, but I absolutely love this series, it is just so fun seeing the things you were up to this time last year. And those photos your guys did of your apartment are beyond amazing! Such a great idea to make just regular apartment photos 1000x times funner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's crazy to think how fast time goes, and how many memories you hold on too. I can still remember last year super well too. I love how your drawers turned out, and your apartment photos are really quirky! Love them. Have a great weekend :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dresser looks so neat. Like a piece of candy coloured goodness!
    - Ruby (via blog hop)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are all super fun. You guys are fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found you via the blog hop and I love the presence your personality has on your blog, from your pictures to the way you write. I look forward to reading more from you.

    ~Aubrey
    Project Lovegood

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Nicole. I particularly love your photo from Newly Norther Nicole. I think I was probably doing very similar things last year around this time as I am right now. I do feel like a very different person though. I am much more committed to what makes me happy and fulfilled now rather than what I think is expected of me or what everyone else thinks is important.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and I hope you enjoy the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares.

    -Emily
    http://from-small-beginnings.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am now humming A Whole New World :)

    I love that you made your apartment pictures so fun! And your dresser ROCKS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is a really fun idea! love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just dropping in from the blog hop to say hi! Your blog is so pretty, I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun idea to look back at the same time in the previous year!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Hugs,
    Chrissy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so fun! I love seeing how far people have come!
    Here's to another year of awesomeness! :)

    ReplyDelete