Sunday, December 16, 2012

Blogger meet up


Today I'm meeting Summer from Oh Summer Candy!! Summer lived in Jasper for the summer months and found my blog after she left to move back out east. She's back in town for the holidays to spend Christmas with her boyfriend, so today we're getting together for a coffee and some blogger chat.

I just love how this little space has opened my life up to new connections and friendships. It's so amazing to meet people, both in person and in the online world, who have similar interests and ideas as me. And, it's just so nice to meet other bloggers – people who get what this whole online community is about without me having to fumble my way through an inarticulate explanation. I find it so awkward and difficult to talk about my blog with people in my day-to-day life. Even if they compliment a post or Gypsy in Jasper in general, I clam up and find myself going red in the face. (I might also sweat a bit, or a lot...)

It's funny. This blog is such a big part of my life, but in the same breath, I'm embarrassed by it and awkward about it. I think that's mostly because most people don't understand blogging. They don't get why I do it or why so many others do. And, they think it's weird to share all of your adventures, DIYs, wishes and wants, recipes and whatever else with the entire world. And, I guess, they're right. It is a bit weird. But, it's also really great. I mean, if I didn't start this blog and maintain it, I wouldn't be meeting Summer today and I wouldn't have met dozens of other amazing people.

It's a catch-22, this whole having a blog thing. But, if I'm being honest, I can't imagine not having this space. Nor can I imagine not having all of you in my life. So, I guess that means a wee-bit of awkwardness and embarrassment is worth the joy that being a bliggity blogger brings me each day.

Happy Sunday everyone. Thanks for reading and for being my blog pals. You-all are the best!

8 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about my blog! In fact I've not told my family or most of my friends about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get that feeling, and I think it does, mostly, come down to people not getting it, and I so often feel awkward to try to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha.. true enough! It IS a lovely lil' blogville to meet in.. happy we found each other!! Have a great visit... xx
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way! I get so awkward when I tell people in real life "oh, on my BLOG." Reminds me of a friend of mine who whenever I'd complain he'd say "yeah, why don't you go write in your blog about it." haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find myself being a little embarrassed as well. sometimes I hate when my friends read my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had a great time meeting you yesterday Nicole! Hope to do it again sometime!

    Summer x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear ya. I'm only now starting to mention my blog to my co-workers, over a year after I first started there. I'm awkward about it. UGH,

    ReplyDelete