Friday, December 21, 2012

Christmas card bunting

Photobucket

While reading Shayla's blog the other day, I came across this brilliant idea for reusing old Christmas cards as the extra pizazz on bunting, and I knew I just had to do it. I found my old cards sitting in a pile, being completely useless, and I thought, 'Well, if I'm going to keep them, I might as well make them useful.' So, the above is what I came up with.

Photobucket

I had never made bunting before this project and now I want to make it to hang EVERYWHERE. It's just so cute and there are so many possibilities. Like, a new one for every season!!

To make this one, I cut out two cardboard stencils, one larger than the other, in the shape of a triangle. Then, I cut out 10 small triangles out of Christmas cards and 10 large triangles out of stiff felt. Once those were finished, I hot glued the cards and felt together before attaching them all to a piece of ribbon. The whole project took me about an hour to do and I'm super happy with how it turned out.


Have you ever made bunting?

**I figure, in anticipation of all the questions about our robot painting, I better just share the story... When Ian was in photography school he had no art on the walls of his apartment, so he picked up this picture from Value Village. His intention was to take the painting out and replace it with a photo, but that never happened. So, one day, he just hung the painting for the sake of having something on his wall. It hung there for months until he was finally inspired to improve it. And by improve it, I mean, he was inspired to put a robot on it. That was years ago, and it is still one of his most prized possessions, and it's also one of my favourite pieces of art in our apartment.**

15 comments:

  1. I've never made bunting, although I love Christmas fabrib bunting.

    Another idea for old Christmas cards -my mum cuts them up and makes them into labels/tags for Christmas presents. Sometimes they have little square sections or stained glass window shapes and they are pretty much ready to be a little picture. I think it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made any bunting but the project has definitely been on my to do list.
    It looks so festive! You did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bunting is super festive and awesome, and you are with one of the coolest artists ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a miracle!
    I'm your new follower. I invite you to my blog, I'll wait
    tini-tani BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful - they look so different! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a fantastic idea! I never really know what do with all the cards that I get in the mail, and I hate just packing them away at the end of each Christmas. This is such an amazing idea to keep displaying them year after year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! You are so clever....and I still think Ian's painting is the best!

    Sometimes, I cut the fronts of the cards off and re-use them the next year...yep...

    ReplyDelete
  8. just stumbled upon your adorable blog, love the craft :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, that's a really funny story about the robot. And great idea! To make the bunting, garland, shindig. It looks great. :D

    xo, Adriana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my god that is such a good idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm probably going to do both the DIY bunting and DIY painting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the painting! Fraser and I have been searching for thrift store paintings to fix up like your robot one but haven't spotted anything good enough yet. One of his art school friends added a little submarine periscope to a little pond in one of those tacky 70's orange forest painting that was just lovely!

    I really like your bunting idea! I made laminated construction paper bunting to use at my craft booth for fairs and it was loads of fun! Love the holiday themed one and a use for all those old cards! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy moly -- this IS such a good idea!! My mom also turns old xmas cards into gift labels. I'm so glad I stumbled on your blog today!
    http://aventurasdemariposas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete