Thursday, December 20, 2012

LOTM: Bundled up, mountain-style

Photobucket We're well into winter here in Jasper, so it only makes sense to show you how we mountain-dwelling ladies dress for the weather. I wore this outfit when it was about -15 C and I was toasty warm (at least for the first hour, anyway). My motto when it comes to dressing for the chilly winter months is: layer, layer, layer, and then throw on one more just for good measure.

Photobucket In this case, I went for a pair of skinny jeans that I can easily tuck into a pair of warm boots, a long sleeved top, a long wool sweater, a jacket, a cowl and two pairs of mitts. Oh yeah, and I also threw on a pair of extra-long socks to add a layer of warmth to my calves.

From top to bottom:
Jacket: Value Village (heck ya!)
Sweater: Walmart
Mitts: Craft fair 
Jeans: American Eagle
Socks and boots: Ardenes

Photobucket My cowl was made by my pal Mel over at Needle and Nest. I just adore it. It tucks right into my jackets and keeps the wind at bay. Plus, I can pull it up as high as I like. On this day, while running between my tripod and my photo position, I had it pulled up right over my nose, to keep it toasty warm (and to avoid that awkward Rudolph look I get when I'm cold).

Photobucket So there you have it. That's how I bundle up for a quick wander through the snow or a trip to my favourite coffee shop. What do you wear when you're trying to keep warm?

Don't forget to check out what the other Ladies of the Mountains put together. I bet they all look absolutely fabulous all layered up.
Photobucket
Gentri of Gentri Lee
Lena of Musings
Michelle of On The Adventure
Meagan of The Egg Out West
Kelley of A Crooked Trail
And, this month's guest blogger, Hannah of The Braided Bandit

P.S.  I just want to note that if I were going on a legit winter adventure, there is no chance you'd catch me wearing the above shoes. No sir-ee. You see, those little guys aren't insulated. So, they would SUCK for a long walk through the snow or any other activity where you might be standing on the cold ground for any period of time. What would I wear on a winter excursion, you might ask? Well, of course, my always fashionable, child-sized Sorels. Those bad boys will keep my feets warm no matter what. 

Oh! And, another thing. I would also have a hat. There's no going outside during winter without something to keep those ears warm. They're the first to get hit by the biting wind. So, anyway, the moral of the story is, if you're going to spend a few hours out in the cold, please dress appropriately. Layer up. Wear a toque. Cover your neck. Keep your fingers warm with legit mitts and don't skimp on the footwear. Nothing kills a winter adventure like being cold. So, make sure yours is the best it can be by bundling up like a champ. 

Now get out there, won't you? .... and then come back and tell me all about your toasty-warm, fun-filled winter adventure.

14 comments:

  1. On behalf of Needle and Nest Design.. we would love to hire you as our model! Looking gooooood there pal! Glad you got that cowl to cozy up to you all pretty like.
    P.S.. despite your 'anti-mama' status.. I think you'd make a good one for keeping everyone wearing their layers! ;o) To this day I'm still convinced that if it's sunny out it MUST be warm.. yes, even in the dead of winter, to my mother's chagrin!

    xx
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww shucks. Thanks, Miss Mel. I think I would be a terrible model (and mama!). But, either way, I appreciate your faith in me. ;)

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with the above comment, you look so very pretty! I love the pretty cowl, they are the best for slipping on in the cold! I think you win the award for best -actual bundled up outfit! Thanks for having me this month!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo... I'm stealing those gloves from you. Cool?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE those mittens! Also, your eyebrows look amazing. Is that weird? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I see you pop up in my feed, I get excited thinking I have a local bloggy friend...then I get all sad, remembering you're nowhere near me. We have a Jasper in the N. Georgia mountains, too! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only know that because I ordered shoes online once and they were sent to Georgia instead of Alberta!! What a nightmare it was to finally get them to Canada.

      You can always come North for a visit! :)

      Delete
  6. haha! I actually did two bundled up outfits, but that's because the first one didn't make the cut. But it did include a nice bomber hat. Oh my, I wish I would have worn it while taking the second try's photos. My ears hurt so bad from the cold! haha! -15. Uck. I've definitely been there, and it is COLD! Chill to the bone cold.
    You look SO cute! I love that cowel! Amazing! Especially the little leather strip. Love this outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so cute. I've never owned a cowl but holy cowl (bad pun) - does that ever look toasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I Love it! You have so so great blog! <3

    Would You like to follow each other? :)
    http://linde-lo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been so cold in town these past few days, that anytime spent outside is quick. House, car, then back again! I would love to get out this weekend and go sledding or just wander around the Legislature. But it's not looking good. If I do head out, I always end up with about 8 layers of everything on! And now that I have discovered (and purchased...many) "over the knee" socks, I keep those bad boys in constant rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, that last picture of you is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete