Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Thankful Tuesdays: Christmas crafting edition

Photobucket
Like I said in yesterday's post, I've been a crafting maniac the last couple weeks, and one of my projects is making ornaments for my tree. So far, I've made salt dough ornaments, felt stockings and these incredibly easy and adorable sandpaper gingerbread men. Fun, right!?

Although these are likely self explanatory, I thought I do a quick tutorial, just in case someone wants a few to dangle from brown paper packages tied up with string.

Photobucket
So, first things first, you draw the shape of a cute little gingerbread man (either with all of his limbs or without!) on the back of your sandpaper. I didn't make a stencil or anything, I just drew the shape for each individual one, that way each one would be just a little bit different. Once you have your desired shape, you cut the little guy out.

Photobucket

I made a hole in the sandpaper for a piece of twine by just poking the end of a pen through the top. You could do this with a needle, too. Whatever you have on hand. Then, I put the twine through and tied it at the top.

Photobucket

Next comes painting his little face and buttons. I used thick squeeze paint that was marketed as fake snow. I found it at my local dollar store for a couple bucks. Once the paint is on, you leave your little dudes to dry and then, they'll turn out something like this:

Photobucket

I'm so thankful I've set aside time to craft and just hang out with myself the last two weekends. There's just something so soothing about putting your hands to work and shortly after having something tangible to show for your efforts. This little project is something anyone can do. It's incredibly simple and quick. And, it's also cheap. If you don't have sandpaper on hand, you can also use felt and end up with a similar look.

If you give these little guys a go, let me know, I'd love to see the results!

What are you thankful for this week? Have you done any Christmas crafting?

7 comments:

  1. I love the ginger bread men! My fave is the one that's half eaten. I hadn't even put up my tree yet until yesterday afternoon. December is just whizzing by..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are super cute! And I love how easy they are... my kind of craft :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh I love these guys!! What an ingenious use of sandpaper!!

    xo

    Jessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are so cute! I might try making some "ninja bread men" when I get home :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the surprised ones the best! "Ack! My foot is gone!!" This is a genius craft, and one I have made once myself. I am going to try and enlist Dude in some kind of Christmas crafting session this week. I have a feeling that I should try to end poverty instead. It might be just as "easy"!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these! So creative I need to try this out

    Summer

    ReplyDelete