Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Thankful Tuesdays: record collection

Photobucket

I love music. I really do. If you ask me, a good album or playlist can make or break any situation. So, today, I thought I would share a few of the albums I play the most. (Instead of a TV, we have a record player as the focal point of our living room, so for us, vinyl is where it's at. If I'm being honest, though, all of the records belong to Ian. In fact, before I met him, I hadn't touched a record or a record player since I was a kid dancing around my basement listening to the Beach Boys on repeat.)

Photobucket

Nowadays, though, when I need a dance party, I throw on Stars on Long Play. This album is the best. Seriously, it makes me so happy. Basically it's one band singing snippets of songs from the 50s, 60s and 70s and turning those snippets into an album length song. It's kind of like if Girl Talk were to actually sing the songs he's mashing up into pure magic.

Photobucket

And then there's Bob. Good ol' Bob. This record reminds me of being a kid. My mom was a big Bob Marley fan back in the day (hence why my brother and I now ADORE all things reggae), so growing up we heard songs like No Woman No Cry all the time. I can still remember my mom whistling it. She wasn't much of a singer, but she sure can whistle.

You'll also notice Tom Waits chillin' out by my feets. Some days, all I want is to listen to his gravely voice sing me songs about Singapore. There's something about his I've drank so much whiskey and smoked so many cigarettes in my day voice that makes me swoon.

Photobucket

If you've been hanging out here at Gypsy in Jasper awhile, you'll already know I basically live and die for Billy Joel's Stranger. In fact, I love this album so much that Ian and I recreated the cover art, with me modeling as Billy Joel. Yup. That's what fans do. And, no, it's not weird.

Photobucket

If you don't know The Meters, you need to go get your funk on. Seriously, these guys know how to make an album. I get super pumped up when I listen it. It makes me bob my head and tap my foot and shimmy on the kitchen floor.

Photobucket

And, then, there's Culture Club!! Ian and I just found this little gem at a local thrift shop and I had to have it. I've only listened to it once so far, but I already know it's going to be in frequent rotation on our turntable (whether Ian likes it or not!!).

Photobucket

Although I could probably go on and on, I'm going to leave this post on a high note with this amazing Ry Cooder album. Cooder is a folk, rock, bluesy genius. This is his second album, and because I haven't heard a ton of his other ones, I'm going to go ahead and say it's the best one.

Are you guys music buffs? Do you collect records? What do you have on repeat these days?

8 comments:

  1. Totally with you on records! Tom got a vintage record player that was his grandfather's and it is a cool focal point of our living room. We love love records! Vinyl is soo much better then any Itunes download haha, the quality is amazing!

    I'm with you I grew up listening to Bob Marley and reggae thanks to my dad and adore it! :) Third World, Grateful Dead, Joni Mitchel, CCR, Tool, Slightly Stoopid, Frank Sinatra, are my favorite record albums among many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my record player. My boy is an avid collector, since his teens, so he has hundreds of them. He's a punk snob.. so that's what it mostly consists of.
    He totally gave me the bug to actually start buying some a while back and I haven't stopped since!
    I have been listening to Dion's greatest hits for the past week. Every morning before work. The good ole' oldies never let me down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaaarma karma karma karma karma chameeeleeooooon

    I love this post. And music. I'm a huge sucker for "nontraditional" sounding voices, like Bob Dylan and Tom Waits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A. I LOVE BILLY JOEL. SO DANG MUCH.
    B. I asked for a record player for Christmas from boyfriend and I have a sneaky suspicion I may be receiving one!
    C. I need some recs on other albums I MUST have - some tried and true record faves for all vinyl owners!
    D. This post is so fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to hear "chicken skin music" by Ry Cooder. It is totally my most favourite album of his and have been in love with it for a good 20 years now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would go to all of your parties!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amaze balls!! I wanna come have a living room dance party with you RIGHT NOW!! I have been listening to my Bing Crosby "Merry Christmas" album lately. Nobody does Christmas tunes like Bing. On vinyl, swoon! I think I'm going to go put it on right now. If only I had some egg nog....

    ReplyDelete
  8. p.s. Lucas is currently dancing to my latest playlist...shaking his booty in the living room!

    ReplyDelete