Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Book review: Seriously... I'm over Ellen


So, I read Ellen's latest book Seriously... I'm Kidding and I think I can officially say, I'm over the Ellen-loving stage of my life. I used to adore her show and she used to have the ability to make me laugh, but Seriously... I'm Kidding was just too much. It was Ellen overload. It was rambling nonsense from one chapter to the next. The jokes were too obvious or forced or just not funny. I know my friend Cynthia loved the book, but it just wasn't for me. I honestly didn't laugh. There were a few chapters that I really enjoyed where Ellen spoke honestly, with jokes intertwined, about being a CoverGirl model, about being a lesbian, about why she and Portia don't want kids and about the importance of supporting our sisters. But, overall, I was disappointed. Ellen tried too hard to be funny and in doing that she lost the opportunity to write anything meaningful or even remotely interesting.

To be honest (if you've read the book you'll know why it's funny to start my sentence that way!), it was so bad I actually had to force myself to finish it. I literally devoted an afternoon to getting through it so I could move on to my next book. I know I could have just returned Seriously... to my apartment book exchange without reaching the end, but I really wanted to give Ellen a chance. And, I REALLY wanted to like her book — in part because I have a soft spot in my heart for Ellen and in part because Ian mocked me for picking it up in the first place. (Somehow I thought if I finished it and laughed at least once, I could prove his assumptions wrong. Gah. I hate it when he's right!)

Now, although Ellen's book was a pile of turds, I do still respect her a great deal. I think she's a fantastic role model for young girls and women. I think she's a strong woman who chooses a positive, upbeat approach to life and I also think she's super rad for doing things like this:



I just think maybe a whole book is too much Ellen for me to handle. I still watch clips of her show on YouTube from time to time — mostly late at night when I'm avoiding bedtime — and every so often those can make me genuinely laugh. So, I guess all isn't lost for Ellen and I. Now I just know I don't need to rush out and buy her other books.

What are your thoughts on Ellen? Have you ever read Seriously... I'm Kidding?

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of her books or watched her show with any amount of regularity but I am a big fan--I think she's adorable and an solid , inspiring role model. I've found that whenever I'm a fan of a celebrity, I end up avoiding a lot of their work so I don't burn out on them :-) Sorry the book fizzed out on you, but hopefully the next one you have queued up will be way better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book, but I have had my eyes on it because I'm quite a fan of Ellen. I might give it a shot, and see how I feel and report back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOD, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DIDN'T LAUGH EVEN ONCE!!! That makes me sad! Sorry you didn't enjoy it. (True story, by the way: I bought it, read it, checked how much money was left in my bank account, got scared, and returned it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand being over Ellen. Honestly I felt the same way about Jenny Lawson (the Bloggess)'s book...SO rambling and nonsensical after awhile, I just couldn't handle it anymore. I do love and respect Ellen though, as you do. She and Portia di Rossi are BADASS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sort of get why Ellen is popular. But not really. Same with Oprah. Same with every over-the-top celebrity "personality". I don't think I could ever read a (non-fiction) book by a celebrity about being a celebrity. That sounds terrifying!

    I did read Steve Martin's (fiction) book about a crazy wonderful lady in the art world, and it was good...fiction.

    I would read a book by Bill Murray about being Bill Murray. Cause he's freaking Bill Murray.

    Wow....that was really random. Oops! More book reviews please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness.

    You should read the reviews on Amazon for the BIC for Her pens. So funny hahahha

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BIC-For-Amber-Medium-Ballpoint/dp/B004FTGJUW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/275-2579053-2665430

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did read the book and thought it was entertaining but you're right - definitely not as funny as her in-person stuff!

    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never read any of Ellen's books but I do really love her show. I don't get it in Norway so I'm forced to watch youtube clips but she does make me laugh and I really respect her as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never discovered Ellen until one night I clicked on a link a friend posted on Facebook. Three hours later, it was 4am and I was still watching Ellen clips. The weirdest part about this whole thing is that I haven't watched any Ellen since.. Either way that clip up there is hilarious and regardless of her bad book, stuff like that still makes her pretty cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read that book yet, but I remember reading a section of one of her older books and laughing out loud. And I just read a little bit of this book, via Amazon, and it was funny. Not sure if I'll ever read the whole thing though.
    Although I have to say that I loved that video of Ellen you posted! I laughed out loud for sure :)

    ReplyDelete