Monday, January 7, 2013

Crochet confessional

Photobucket
This is my "I'm No. 1" pose.
I am a champion! And all it took was crocheting a toque to make me feel that way. That might not be that exciting for most, but it's super duper, over the top, I want to dance around the room to bad 90s pop exciting for me. Why? Well, because I used to be super lame. Like for reals. For years I doubted myself and my ability to do anything new. You might be thinking, "What!? Nicole, you be trippin', you do new shit all the time", which is totally true. But, there are and have always been areas of my life where I generally stick to what I know and what I'm good at rather than venturing out and pushing myself further (because I'm scared of failure!). And, crocheting has always been one of those things.

But then, on Wednesday night, I decided I was going to throw all of that hogwash out the window and at least look at a pattern for a toque. I figured, I'd give it a try and if I really couldn't do it, I'd go back to making my go-to headbands.

My inspiration for taking a step toward the unknown is Alycia from The Curious Pug. Each month she posts a new project for her Crochet Along project. And, last month was a toque. I saw it at the beginning of December, but at that time I wasn't quite ready to commit to this whole trying new things idea, so I forgot about it. Then the other day, Alycia posted her January project, which is a bit more complicated than the toque. And, I thought, "If I'm ever going to join this amazing project, I better start with the easy projects and work my way up with the group". So, I went back to the toque pattern she had posted... only to realize there was no hope in hell I'd ever be able to read it.

Photobucket

I could have quit there, thrown up my hands and said, "Nope. Too hard." But, instead I decided to hit up the YouTubes. I found myself an instructional video and I made myself a toque and, before the night was through, I made another one. So, now Ian and I each have a handmade toque to sport, and I couldn't be more proud.

I seriously feel like I'm ready for anything! I might even give Alycia's latest project a go. That will require some book learning, though, so I can figure out what "2 DC into each stitch, slst into top of the first DC, ch 2. (16DC)" means. But, I figure, I can totally do this. If I can make a toque, I can read a pattern. I got this shit under control!

Anyone out there know where I can find an awesome article or site devoted to crochet lingo? Hook a sister up! (HOOK a sister up. Aren't I clever!!?)

17 comments:

  1. wowwww they came out awesome! i am inspired to give this a whirl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started knitting myself, and I haven't tackled crochet yet. I definitely want to try it out though! :)

    http://threeinchstitch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. here's a site that might be of some help for you: http://www.ravelry.com/

    you need to register but you'll find oh so many patterns for knitting and crocheting, plus a lot of useful sub sites as well. Way to go by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love crocheting! Although man, why do they speak jibberish in the patterns! They are so hard to decipher!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Google is your best friend here! I recommend finding an easy pattern on ravelry and just go for it. Whenever you don't know a term google it! The most common abbreviations are ch (chain), sc (single crochet), dc (double crochet), sl (slipstitch), inc (increase), dec (decrease). If you ever come across a stitch you don't know how to do YouTube is great. I didn't know how to do a fpdc (front post double crochet) the other day and just looked up a video for how to do it. You'll probably make lots of mistakes, but the nice thing about crochet is you can just undo everything. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! We did Alicia's crochet-along the past couple months, it is a great way to have a goal (and a deadline!) to actually get a project done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hook.. ha!
    Way to go, you! I totally hear you on the fear of trying a new project.. for me it's the fear of 'wasted time' when you try - endure - re-try.. and it still flops. Then I want to throw it out the window! lol. You guys look adorable in those (well, Ian.. could pass for the Joker I think). Congrats for pushing yourself to new creative levels!
    P.S - awesome possum you did that 5 art giveaway thing.. I hope to be doing it too!
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMAZING!!! I need to give crochet a shot, I love to knit but I've never ventured outside of it. Your toque is super cute, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on a completed (and very well done) project! I'm one of those that starts and then stops when it becomes too time-consuming, too hard, too-whatever. I rarely make it to the end of project so when I do, I feel somewhat like you do now! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kudos to you! I tend to do the same thing. Only reason I ever learned knitting was because it was required of me in college, though I do still harbour a slight hatred for it thanks to a wackload of impatience. :P Toques look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 2 DC into each stitch, slst into top of the first DC, ch 2. (16DC)" =
    2 double crochet into each stitch, slip stitch into the top of the first double crochet, chain 2. (16 double crochet)

    ever have any crocheting questions come seek me out sista! welcome to crochet land =)

    xoxo
    trisha
    veranellies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. hehhheeeey! great job! I don't have enough patience any more for crocheting :-) You are indeed a champion!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am definitely more confident with knitting than crochet but I really want to crochet more! My only project was a Conan O'Brien doll for my good friend that's obsessed and it took me 4 months because I had to keep looking stuff up :) Thanks for the inspiration to get back into it and I love your hat!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you are hilarious and I love reading your blog. Congrats on figuring it out! Here's to many more hats and things!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look great! I love the colors you chose!
    I have the perfect resource for you: http://www.craftyminx.com/crochet-school/
    You MUST check it out :) It's hands down the best crochet learning resourse. Seriously. Check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is absolutely amazing! Congratulations, it seriously looks amazing! And I am really loving those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool! They're so vibrant! I need to get back to knitting again...

    ReplyDelete