Monday, January 21, 2013

DIY: e-reader case

As you all know, I'm on a bit of a reading kick and part of that is due to the fact that I just got my hands on a Kobo Glo. But, said Kobo didn't come with a case and cases are $40 and up! So, rather than spending a bunch of money on one, I decided to put my crafty fingers to work. I figured, since I'm also on a crocheting bender, that would be the best medium for my case.

So, first, I measured the e-reader and I crocheted a chain about six stitches longer than that width, and from there, I just carried on doing double crochet until the piece was long enough to fold over and cover the e-reader. For the flap, I decreased the number of stitches each row to create a triangle. For the button hole, I just did five chain stitches and carried on. The triangle will look a bit messy as you go, but if you do a slip stitch all the way around it afterwards, it comes out looking clean. 


Once I had the desired size and shape, I sewed on a button in the correct spot. Then, I cut a pair of Ian's old corduroy pants to use as my liner. I pinned the fabric on and did a quick stitch around, leaving me with this:

(Don't mind my terrible all-over-the-map stitching. I'm still learning and I have a total need for speed when it comes to pushing my sewing machine's petal to the medal.)


From there, I grabbed some leftover yarn, turned the case inside out and sewed around the edges. Once that was done, I turned it right-side-out again and I was left with this:



It's definitely not perfect, but I'm still pretty stoked with how it turned out. I think the corduroy will be a great protective layer for my screen and I think the button and crocheted outer layer make the whole thing incredibly me.

With the case done, now I just have to get down to reading a book on this little devicer of mine. So far I've downloaded 37 free books that I want to read. Most of them are classics like all of the Jane Austen novels and a bunch of Mark Twain. I've decided the first book I'll read on the Kobo is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I've read it once before and I loved it, but that was years ago, so I'm pumped to refresh the ol' memory.

Have you been crafting or reading lately? Tell me, what are you reading and creating these days?

9 comments:

  1. Well done! That color blue for the yarn is super bright and happy looking :-) Way to go and be brave enough for sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it - and it's lovely! Now don't you feel so confident to take on that jacket zipper?! ;o) I'm still waiting to but more needles that won't bust in my machine! ha....
    happy monday sweets!
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome! That looks like it took a lot of talent sooo rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the cordoroy! I did something very similar with crochet and some fleece. Though I have no sewing skills so hand stitching it was!

    http://meetmakelaugh.blogspot.ca/2012/07/meetmakecrochet-ereader-cover.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why ARE ereader covers so expensive? This is an adorable idea, and I love the button!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eeeeek! This is fantastic. Love it. Also love Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. And Jane Austen. I miss school, kind of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy that it worked out for you!!! It's perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! I bought one of the pricey leather ones -- can't sew to save my life. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!



    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete