Friday, January 11, 2013

Frozen spaces

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

My friend Mishelle and I made a trip to Maligne Canyon last weekend for another icy adventure. Or, another for me and a first for her. While we were there, I was amazed to see how much the ice formations have changed since I last walked there one month ago. We were even able to walk right into the canyon, which we couldn't do in December.

Since my first visit to the canyon was part of a guided tour, I felt a wee bit rushed, so I didn't take any micro photos of the beautiful ice and frost. So, when we went back, I made a point of opening my eyes to the small things. And then, my camera died, leaving me with numerous variations of these three photos. Let's just say, I'm thankful I ended up with a few shots that are in focus. It could have been worse.

I guess this just means I have to go back a third time, so I can really do the place justice. No skin off my back. I could spend hours exploring the nooks and crannies of this amazing canyon.

In other news, this afternoon I'm leaving the city to head back to Jasper. It was a fun week, with a couple of blogger meet ups and a reunion with a friend I haven't seen since our high school graduation nine years ago. The reunion wasn't even planned. We just happened to be in the same hotel and I recognized him as I was leaving one morning. I love coincidences like that!

15 comments:

  1. That's such a bummer about your camera battery, but the three shots you shared are absolutely stunning! Can't wait for you to go back and share more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are three really cool shots, you should be proud of them. I especially love the second one, it feels like the ice is slowly crawling towards me. Creepy, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ice sculptures of natural beauty!
    Fun full week for you friend, happy home coming! ;o)
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These photos are spectacular! I have never seen anything like this in my life! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow - these are gorgeous, is it too cheesy to say they gave me the shivers?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in SC so I haven't seen anything frozen since I left NY 11 years ago and I really miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos are great. Looks like a really interesting place :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome shots! I love ice formations, they're so neat. Sucks that your camera died! Though any excuse to go back to a place like that is wonderful. I used to have a fully charged backup battery on me at all times for that very reason, but then it crapped out one day and refused to charge ever again. >=(

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know how much I love your posts (and you), so I'm going to post something completely random instead.

    I went sledding with Dude the other day and ate snow.

    I really need to come visit you. And give you a Lisa-shaped excuse to go back to Maligne!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These photos are absolutely stunning!
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whaaat?! These are amazing!! I want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love coincidences like that too! Have you ever noticed some people are freakishly underwhelmed by a crazy coincidence? I don't like that. These are beautiful- lucky you for getting to go back again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos :) And I love coincidences too! I'm always way more enthusiastic about them than others.

    ReplyDelete