Thursday, January 3, 2013

LOTM: dream hike

Source

Big news! ... unless, of course, you read my 2013 goals on Monday. Either way though, if you ask me, it's still big news. Drum roll, please! Ian and I are hoping to hit up Utah this year. UTAH!

Why, you might ask? Well, because that's where Pando resides. And, who's Pando, you ask?

HE'S ONLY ONE OF THE LARGEST AND OLDEST LIVING ORGANISMS
ON THE FREAKING PLANET.

Oh! And did I mention that he's an aspen tree? That's right, you read right. He's a tree. And we are desperate to be in his presence. (Reading back on this I realized I did Pando no justice. Caps locks, bold and underline are one thing, but explaining how Pando, a tree, is the largest and oldest organism in the world, well that might be helpful. Right?)

Source
How about I get a little help from our friend Wikipedia...
Pando, also known as The Trembling Giant, is a clonal colony of a single male Quaking Aspen determined to be a single living organism by identical genetic markers and one massive underground root system. The plant is estimated to weigh collectively 6,000,000 kg (6,600 short tons), making it the heaviest known organism. The root system of Pando, at an estimated 80,000 years old, is among the oldest known living organisms.
So anyway, that leads me to my dream hike, you know, the thing the Ladies of the Mountains are supposed to be talking about today. (Pando's relevant, I swear!) So, my dream hike is in Fishlake National Forest. (That's where Pando lives). To be honest, I don't know that there is a "real" hike (more research is needed), but my dream is to just walk beneath Pando's many clones. They take up 106 acres of land, so I figure, I could do a heck of a lot of walking in and around that area. And, if you ask me, that would be pretty darn nice.

Have any of you been to see Pando? Any pointers? Any amazing stories? Please tell me everything!!

And, before you run away, don't forget to check out what the other Ladies of the Mountains chose as their dream hike. I bet they picked some magical places.

Photobucket
Gentri of Gentri Lee
Lena of Musings
Michelle of On The Adventure
Meagan of The Egg Out West
Kelley of A Crooked Trail
And, guest blogger Kate of Chestnut Mocha

18 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that place looks beyond amazing! I would love to wander around there one day! Cannot wait to hear more about it once you go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool--I've never heard about Pando before, but now it's definitely on my list. Over summer when I was on Maui we got to visit the Banyan tree they have there, which is one of the biggest in the world. It was so beautiful, even surrounded by tourists and booths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds AMAZING. I would LOVE to do this! Maybe someday! I have never been to Utah - it's on my wish list for sure. And, if there is a co-op near you - Mustard Tea for the bath. (It's in the bath section.) I think it really helped me kick this cold's ass - might be hippie voodoo but it's worth a shot! Feel better darling. And I hope that 2013 is amazing, and I am so excited for you and this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful!! I've been wanting to hike in other states. This looks amazing.
    Plus meeting one of the oldest living beings on earth?! How awesome is that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds pretty amazing! I think I'd love to see those giant redwoods out west too.. those seem incredible. Gotta love tree-huggers. ;o)

    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so I wasn't going to say this before... but can I come with you?! haha! I love Quakies, but never plant them in your yard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this sounds amazing! Hopefully you can find a "real" hike and get through the area nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds AWESOME!!! Utah is a beautiful state. I remember driving through there on a road trip when I was a youngun. I would love to take Lucas there and go adventuring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning pictures! It sounds awesome!

    xo, Emily
    bluedogbelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahah I've never met Pando before but this is very interesting! I hope to see your photos from Utah this year!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  11. The aspen groves all over Utah are so amazing! We spent my birthday having an awesome picnic among the amazing aspen groves with leaves changing colors in Utah, it was beyond gorgeous! We will def have to visit Fishlake National Park come summer! Crazy how old they are, and so cool how they are a colony!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never heard of Pando before but this sounds amazing! Hope you get to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A. This is awesome.
    B. I'm coming, too.
    C. Let's find Gentri while we're there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool! I just learned a few months ago about how aspens grow in colonies all from one organism. Also, Utah is only like, 10 hours from me! Come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woah, awesome! I'd love to meet Pando, too! Sounds like a really unique experience. Hope you two have loads of fun. ;)

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds awesome! I've never heard of Pando but it sounds like a drive to Utah may be in order for me some day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE your blog. These photos are gorgeous, and I love your writing style. Looking forward to more!

    -Mia @ M i a B e l l a

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi. I just found your blog through Sea Field and Tribe. I live up in Northern Utah so feel free to hit me up for some ideas for your trip. There are some amazing hikes here (although I imagine where you are things are even more magical)

    http://www.applesandoats.com

    ReplyDelete