Thursday, January 17, 2013

LOTM: ice climbing

Photobucket

I don't want to show any of the other ladies up or anything, but I climbed a waterfall for my adventure this week. Yeah. That's right. I put on a pair of way-too-big boots with huge spikes sticking out on all sides, I wielded ice tools that look like the Grim Reaper's scyth in miniature form, I threw on a harness and I climbed up a slab of ice.

Photobucket


Now this may sound totally impressive (and in a way it totally is), but before you get super pumped, let me admit that I only made it half way up the 30-metre fall. I just got too darn tired and scared. My heart was literally pounding and my knees were constantly shaking. There's no denying the anxiety I felt as I made my way up and my way down. I was a mess. At one point, my guide even had to pump me up so that I'd finally make the journey back down. (No joke, that's scarier than going up!)

Photobucket

Although I didn't make it to the top, I'm still super stoked that I went on the climb. I've never been rock climbing either outside or inside, so this was my first experience pulling myself up a vertical slope. I'm hoping I might get a second chance to reach the top later this season. When I got home from this adventure, I kicked myself (you know, once the spikes were off my shoes) for not giving it another go. I can't let the winter pass without trying again.

Photobucket

Anyway, that's it for me this week, but before you run away, don't forget to check out what the other Ladies of the Mountains got up to. I bet they picked some magical places to explore.

Photobucket
Gentri of Gentri Lee
Lena of Musings
Michelle of On The Adventure
Meagan of The Egg Out West
Kelley of A Crooked Trail
And, guest blogger Kate of Chestnut Mocha

24 comments:

  1. Your level of bad-ass-ery is way impressive, regardless of hitting the top. And this seems like a hundred times scarier than rock climbing, so it's like you just jumped straight to the big gun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you! That looks fun (and terrifying).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting!! I've seen people doing this, just hanging out on the side of the road in Alaska. SO scary! I'm scared of rock climbing, so this seems just as if not more terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!!
    that's so impressive! i'd be frozen to my toes. but i want to try it one day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these posts! I am especially jealous of all of you ladies' winter adventures. Is that correct grammar? Hmmm...

    Anyhoo, I wanna climb some icy waterfalls! It looks exhilarating!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is quite possibly one of the coolest blog posts I've every encountered. You and your ice climbing awesomeness is pretty dang impressive. Way to go, friend!!

    P.S. Can I come next time? Pleaseee. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ... still laughing about the 'kicked yourself.. once the ice boots were off' statement! This is WILD! I'm impressed you even tried it - where most weenies would have just been standing on the ground wondering how they got their tongues stuck to the waterfall.. ;o)
    You rock, as per usual.
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soo.... in about 6 months I'm going to live much, much closer to you. I'm thinking next winter I may need to take that long drive and do this with you because this is freaking awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks amazing but absolutely terrifying at the same time. I'm proud of you for giving it a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for your sweet comment!
    Wow, what an amazing adventure! Proud of you!
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  11. ice climbing is THE BEST. and 15m sounds pretty high to me!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. WHAT?! I can't believe you did this?!?!?!?!? Crazy! Amazing! Awesome! You are a rockstar - seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is awesome! Definitely something I'd love to do but Ontario. >_< I'd probably flake out halfway through on the first run, too. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so glad i got to see pictures! and go you - i probably would have gotten there, complained it was too cold or that my boots were too big (i have super teeny feet- so they would probably slip right out of any boots they would have had to me use!)then cried..then went home without trying. so, go you!! im really jealous because it looks super crazy amazing. plus - just think you got PAID to do this during a work day..now how awesome is that?!

    xx
    trisha
    veranellies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. WoooaaaahhH! That's pretty amazing :) I can't say I've ever even seen a frozen waterfall. I'm certainly jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you! I'm going to try good ol regular climbing once spring comes but look at you- hard core from the start!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, Nicole, this is super awesome! It's actually on my to-do-while-i'm-in-the-rockies list! I've never rock climbed before but I'm sure it's an amazing experience. A few years ago I saw pictures of people climbing frozen waterfalls in Montana and I fell in love with this idea. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok, you are the coolest person ever! So adventurous!! Newest follower right here! Woot woot!
    -Bridgette
    http://bridgettenicole.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. AMAZING! I can't imagine how terrifying that would be, definitely give yourself some credit for doing as much as you did!
    Also on a side note, that close up shot of you is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So awesome! That looked like an adventure for sure,congrats. I`m sure I wouldn`t make it to the top too, but i doubt I would even attempt to climb that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, new follower here and I’d like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/01/clever-chicks-blog-hop-18-and-country.html







    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you enjoy rock climbing, winters can be problematic since most of your favorite climbs aren't exactly accessible. Ice climbing may just be the answer to your problem.

    Clcik Here

    ReplyDelete