Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Thankful Tuesdays: newsroom inspiration

Photobucket
This is me, with shampooed hair, real clothes and a reason to leave the comfort of my couch.
I arrived in the big city for a week of working in the Vue newsroom yesterday, and I gotta say, it feels good to be back amongst the living. I know I told you-all working from home was going well, and, honestly, it was when I said it, but right before the Christmas break, my motivation waned and I started getting a wee bit lethargic. I thought it would be awesome working in my PJs all day, but after a couple of months, it started to get down right depressing. The worst was when I realized I hadn't showered in DAYS. I can honestly say, before I started working from home, I only let that happen while camping. Now, it's almost like every couple weeks I'm out in the tent. Or, at least that's likely what I smell/look like. Ick.

So, anyway, that's one of many reasons why it feels so good to be in the city this week. For one thing, I have a reason to hop in the shower every morning. And, the reward for doing that, is hanging out in a bustling newsroom again. For all of you non-media-types, let me tell you, one of the best parts of being a journalist is hanging out in a lively newsroom. The banter between a bunch of socially awkward writers just cannot be beat. I didn't quite realize just how much I missed it until I entered the newsroom yesterday. It felt so good to be surrounded by creative people again, especially ones who are under the same pressure to meet deadline and who are up on current events. Working from home, I have to rely on my Twitter pals for banter, sarcasm and current event chatter, and although I love me some 140-character humour, it's just not the same as yelling at someone across the room.

So, I guess you could say, this week, I'm thankful for having a reason to change out of my pyjamas, and I'm thankful to be surrounded by such clever people. Oh! And, I'm also thankful Ian had his own stroke of inspiration that resulted in the above photo. I think it is hands down the best photo that has ever been taken of this little lady. Thanks, Ian!

What are you thankful for this week?

P.S. Thanks so much for all of your inspiring words and insights yesterday. If there's one reason I can't wait to get home (other than seeing Ian), it's to continue on this path of creating and learning. I'll be sure to keep you-all posted on how things go! For now, I'm loving toques and the process of making them. I have five in the bag already and with each one I'm getting fancier and fancier! Before the week is up, I'm going to hit up a craft shop to restock on wool, since my supply is now diminishing at a rapid speed. What colour do you guys think I should make my first pair of slippers?

10 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I know the lethargic blah of being at home is never fun. I need structure. And GREAT photo! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your coat! And what a beautiful backdrop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Have a fantastic time in Edmonton. Your description of the newsroom made me super envious. WANT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it takes a special breed to work from home. I personally love it. But that's me - CRAZY hermit girl who could care less about social interaction haha But that could also be because I have a super stressful job and the days I'm home I can hang up the phone cursing like a sailor and no one is the wiser. Its also fun to randomly flip off my computer and give hugs to my three fur babies.

    I make it a point tho to shower every morning and get out of my pjs. I think just doing that puts you in a different mindset.

    Glad you are having fun in the city this week tho - how hilarious would it be for us to video chat a day we are both working from home - you see see me cursing and creating havic! hahah

    xx
    trisha
    veraenllies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your glasses! Gotta have the get-up-get-dressed kind of work to appreciate the don't-have-to-get dressed kind of work too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!!

    I'm feeling lethargic about working more days. We desperately need the money. Even though I'm employed at 3 different places, I'm still only getting hours at one and the paycheck just covers phone and hydro bills. Rob and I had a talk last night and we decided that this wedding really is going to be our motivation and I'm currently emailing my employers for more hours. I just like my days off :(

    xo
    Ps. Package is being mailed on Friday! EXCITED??
    pss. I hate that it took me so long to mail :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this photo is amazing too! :) You are glowing, my dear! And, I have never worked in a news room and had no idea you did either?! Even if only for a week? What do you do?? That sounds so fun...Sometimes I wonder if I would be the same way if I worked at home. I know that I complain on a regular basis about working in a cube, but I dont know if I have enough discipline to work at home...I think I would be just like you and stop showering and be a nut case. hahaha. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful thing to be thankful for! I'm so glad you're getting out and about with the living ;) Wishing you the best week ever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful post! i am thankful for.. snow and beautiful mountains :) (cute mittens by the way..!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for motivation! I'm facing a similar dilemma. and that's a really pretty photo. I'm so jealous of all that nature and snow.

    Also, hi! I'm a new follower, by the way.

    ReplyDelete