Thursday, January 24, 2013

What to Wear: to karaoke

 photo Karaoke_zpsbe923e13.jpg
I don't even know how to begin to explain the amazingness you see above!!
This week the What to Wear ladies and I are dressing for a night out at the karaoke bar. So, of course, I had to have a little fun, right!? I mean, I couldn't let this opportunity to sing into my hair brush slip through my fingers. So, on Tuesday night, Ian set up a bunch of filtered lights in our bedroom — giving it a stage-like feel — and snapped photos of me while I sang Madonna's Material Girl into the mirror. I have to give all the props to Ian for making my vision come to life. That guy has mad skills when it comes to setting up a brilliant photo. He even taped my hairdryer to a pole, which he then balanced between his legs, so that my hair would blow this way and that all model-styles. What a champ!

(I so wish we had a behind the scenes photographer for photoshoots like this. It's pretty hilarious how we get everything just so.)

 photo Karaoke1_zps953e052e.jpg

Confession: there was a time in my life (in 2010) when karaoke night was the highlight of my week. I was working as an intern at the Daily Gleaner newspaper in Fredericton, New Brunswick. It was my first gig out of school and I was living all the way across the country from everything I'd ever known. (IT WAS AWESOME!) And, in my newsroom were two other interns, Alex and Molly, who can both sing like you would not believe. So, every Thursday night we would head out to Boom Nightclub and we would sing and dance and enjoy $7 triples. I have the best memories of that place and those girls – like the time we sang Meredith Brooks' Bitch and Alex decided to finger the crowd, or the time Molly's mom accompanied us, just to see what all the hype was about, or the time a girl tried to undress me on the dance floor while my friends stood back asking, "Are you OK?" Good times, I tell you. There are just so many inside jokes and laughs that stem from that bar and those nights. Thinking back on all of our good times makes me want a karaoke reunion! Now, how fun would that be?

 photo Karaoke2_zpsc260d8fd.jpg

Oh yeah, this post was supposed to be about my outfit, right? Whoops. That trip down memory lane threw me right off track. So... the outfit. For a night of singing bad 80s and 90s hits, I would wear this Modcloth dress. It's comfortable. It's got an awesome pattern and it's fun to accessorize, especially with some metallic touches that pick up the colourful stage lights.

From top to bottom:
Dress: Modcloth
Necklace: Walmart
Cardigan: Thrifted
Belt: Thrifted

 photo Karaoke3_zps9d0dda5d.jpg

Well folks, that's it for me this week. I hope you enjoyed my goofy photoshoot. Now, before you run off to sing into your own hairbrushes, don't forget to check out what the other ladies put together for a night of singing and dancing.

Sondra: Abhaya Yoga

If you'd like to join the What to Wear series, send me an email. We'd love to have you! Next time (Feb. 7), we're sharing What to Wear: shades of blue.

So, tell me, what would you wear to a karaoke bar?

21 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD THAT IS INCREDIBLE. I... I just have no words. Awesome. All of it. Awesome. High fives for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also when I was younger, No Doubt's "Just A Girl" was my karaoke jam. Fun fact of the day!

      Delete
  2. That last photo! You're so glamorous.

    My one karaoke story: I went to one in Moscow with some friends, and we all sang "Back in the USSR" together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good grief you're hilarious mixed with awesome sauce!! Love your commitment to this shoot guys!!!
    mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look great. I wouldn't wear anything, I'm a terrible singer, the place is just nor for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazingly dedicated--I totally wish I could see the behind the scenes shots! You are truly a Karaoke Queen and that outfit is perfection :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you told me this was your plan I knew it would be awesome, but you (& Ian) have taken it to new heights of amazeballs awesome! This is why you are the figurehead of our group. Or the cornerstone. Or whatever means "most awesome leader" in fancy smart-person talk!

    I LOVE that you set up a blow dryer. I LOVE that you used pink lights! I LOVE that dress! Heck...I took my photos on a bad hair day in my Dad's living room for pete's sake! You deserve some sort of award for the laughter and glee you have brought into my day!

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures are epic!

    Your 'Bitch' story reminded me that a (different) room mate and I sang a very angry version of 'Hollaback Girl' to the bar crowd after a few drinks following a ridiculous day of resort-town drama. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, your hair is getting so long! Love what Ian did with the blow dryer, and I love the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great idea for what to wear, and i love the photos (awesome lighting!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. KARAOKE REUNION, YES PLEASE! Also, I have four words for you: Balls to the Wall. Wait, I have one more word for you: Rasputin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been, or done, karoke before! I've always wanted to though. It sounds like a fun time you've had doing that in the past!
    Love you singing in the mirror. A girl's just got to let her inner singer come out once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. flippin' sweet dude. haha, you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAHAHAHA! I love this! You are the best at these creative photo shoots :) I can't tell you how much I love you and Ian's commitment to this and the hair dryer? Brilliant. Oh, and you're outfit is super cute too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. YES! I love these photos so much! You guys always come up with such great ideas for little photo shoots! And as always that outfit is pretty darn wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahah! That sounds like so much fun to set up. I bet you were struggling to keep a straight face! I especially love the first shot - it's all about the hairbrush.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Next time I'm in Jasper and I see you at Champs on Wednesday night I'm counting on you to wear this exact outfit! AND you'll be singing this time.

    Summer x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so awesome. And, can I say, I love Ian. He rocks. :) And, I wish we could go out and do karoake together. Seriously. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE how it looks like you had so much fun w/ this!!! never woulda thought of setting up lights but it totally looks like you did real karaoke, you coulda tricked me. Great skirt & owl necklace here too.
    http://dusanabotswana.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my god in heaven!!! These pictures are the best outfit pictures I've ever seen :D And that first picture should totally be in a fancy magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Best. Karaoke. Outfit. Ever!!

    I absolutely love it. The lights, hair brush microphone, owl necklace and all. If we had a "Best What to Wear Outfit", you'd win. :D

    xo, Adriana.

    ReplyDelete