Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Craft station organization

 photo DSC_0019_zps6e1915c5.jpg

Ian and I have never been the kind of people who eat dinner at a table, so when we moved into our apartment, we decided to put our dining room space to good use. We bought a long table from the library and I made it into my first-ever craft station. This was super exciting for me. I had just received my first sewing machine for my birthday the month before (thanks Ian!) and I was ready to hit the ground running on all kinds of projects. But, quickly thereafter, my cozy little creativity corner turned into a collecting ground. Not for Ian, but for me. I would use the table as a reciprocal for envelopes, boxes, crape paper, dishes left behind by friends after potlucks, and every other piece of paper that enters our house. It was getting out of control and I rarely sat there to do any of my crafting. Instead I'd carrying all of the necessary supplies into the living room and sit on the couch. My table was just to unwelcoming.

 photo DSC_0028_zps35068f48.jpg

So, last night, after I finished work, I decided enough was enough and I tackled the problem head on. I tore into every nook and cranny. I took every item out of every basket, box and cup and I got real. "Will I ever find a use for six paper towel rolls? Will I even use one?" You get the picture.

I honestly didn't realize just how much stuff I had accumulated in our apartment. I have collected and collected and collected to the point where I have every single box from every single package I've received in the last year. It seems, somehow I thought that boxes were a necessary item to hoard. Boxes, bubble wrap, crape paper, packing peanuts, cellophane, you name it, I've got it!

So, as I started going through things, the mess only got worse... 

 photo DSC_0075-1_zps3cfe60a5.jpg

But, I persisted. I was so totally determined to get through this project (mostly because now that I'm doing Project Life, I want a place where all of my paper, scissors, stickers and stamps can happily live on a permanent basis.) So, after three hours (from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. or from daylight to darkness) I slaved over my table. And, now that it's done, I'm happy to report I couldn't be more pleased with the results!

 photo DSC_0077-1_zps737f8994.jpg

 photo DSC_0088_zps3ad28891.jpg
That's right, you're looking at the opening spread in my Project Life binder! I'll show you more tomorrow.


 photo DSC_0087_zps4fab0063.jpg

 photo DSC_0095_zpsf0106074.jpg

I think the best part of tackling my craft table is that now I know what I have and where each item is hiding. I honestly had no idea how many cool bits and pieces I had tucked away. I have a Ziplock bag just overflowing with amazing scraps that will be perfect for Project Life. It's also really great to be able to see the table and to see what I have. I honestly cannot wait to sit down and craft my little heart out this week. I have some finishing touches I want to do to some of my PL pages (I caught up! I did seven weeks worth this weekend.) and I want to give a simple sewing project a go. I'm thinking a t-shirt bag or something.

Yay for organization!!

Are you working on any craft or organizational projects right now?

15 comments:

  1. ooooh aaaah, doesn't organizing feel SO good!?! I'm not even a neat freak.. but I love a good dose of cleaning here an there.. great job! Currently I'm about to 'tape off' my craft corner as a biohazard or something.. ugh. I'm taking over our dining table. lol
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I have been doing this with my stock lately in preparation for the next sale - it REALLY does feel good. In our house, the kitchen table is the catch-all for everything. It was one of my new year's resolutions to try and put things away when I am done with them - I'm like a little kid and it's just so hard! :) Also, I loved your snowman post...so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do this!!
    I wish I had space for a craft table somewhere in my house. I am also horrible with keeping things that I MIGHT need sometime for something.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks good, always so nice to get stuff organized (my office is ALWAYS a mess)!!!!
    I'm actually right in the middle or painting a coffee table with DIY chalk paint... hope it turns out nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. I also need to reaarange and organize my crafty corner. And catch up on my project life. But tomorrow I have the day off and a friend coming to over to scrap, so hopefully I can post PL photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As goofy as it is, my brain totally lights up when I see a really well-organized space. :) Looks great, good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on organizing! It looks awesome. Man, if you think that's a mess, I should do a post next time my studio gets out of control. The floor and every possible working surface disappears. :P Now comes the challenge of maintaining the tidiness! Or at least not letting it get too crazy again. That's the fun part. Haha. Good luck and happy crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to take a photo of the CRAZINESS that is my scrap room. And after your brain finishes exploding, you will sympathize with my inability to clean up that room and get it into shape. I admire your ability to be able to de-stash, and get rid of those things you have been hoarding. I can't do that yet. I have emotional-attachment-to-inanimate-objects issues. You should see the giant boxes of my childhood stuffed animals I have in the basement. I just started throwing out my University notes...I graduated 10 years ago. You see where this is going?!

    I love your newly found craft space! And I can't wait to see what you create at it!! YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Organising is great sometimes and you've done such a great job. It's such a relief to declutter and reorganise what's important :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So inspirational!!

    Mackenzie
    www.heybirdfriend.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh it looks GREAT! I love that table! I'm in the process of setting up my bedroom as my craft/rat room right now and so this is pretty inspiring stuff :) I love your project life binder too-that looks like something I'd really be into. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. lookin' so good here! very inspirational to me as of the moment, i am currently still setting up my craft room! it really does take a long time and a lot of effort to organize a space! my mother is doing a similar thing to the binder you are! i am currently too busy with school to have time for a project.. i just need summer time!

    lindsey louise

    hellomrrabbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE! I need a crafting station asap. Someplace to hold my crafternoons

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did well! Organise spaces (and especially the craft room, for some reason) can be so intimidating! My craft room currently doesnt even have table for my sewing machine, but I have promised myself once I find one that suits the purpose, I will do a mega sort out and get it looking pretty :)

    ReplyDelete