Thursday, February 28, 2013

LOTM: mountain beauty

This week the Ladies of the Mountains are telling you about our mountain beauty routines. This is probably the worst prompt for me because, well, when I'm out in the wilderness, I make a point not to look in the mirror. I don't want to know what I look like. I don't want to dwell on appearances. I just want to enjoy nature, without any pressure to look a certain way. Basically, what I'm saying is, if I'm doing some sort of outdoor activity, I likely look like a total greaseball while doing it. And, my goodness, does that ever make me a happy little camper!

So, rather than attempting to give you a half-hearted, totally untrue to me tip about how to style your hair so it looks gorgeous when you wake up in your tent the next morning, I'm going to tell you the one toiletry item I CANNOT live without when I'm on a multi-day adventure. Drum roll, please! That item is hand sanitizer.

Source


Although I don't paint my nails or file them, I do care about what they look like to a certain extent. That extent being that I hate having dirt under them. In fact, I hate having dirty hands all together. It grosses me out. So, I am a hand sanitizer freak, especially when I'm out in the wilderness. After every bathroom break, before every meal, after every meal, I'm all about that stinky stuff. So, my tip for you if you're heading on an adventure that requires outhouse or bare-bum in the wilderness bathroom breaks is bring some hand sanitizer. You'll thank me when you're eating your next meal.

Oh! And another tip. Bring chapstick, especially in the winter time. Man, there is nothing worse than being out in the wilderness with burning hot, dry lips! If you don't have chapstick, you can always use hand cream, as well. Actually, that's another thing you should have on you, because after all of that hand sanitizer use, your hands are likely going to shrivel up and die a little bit. Thanks alcohol! So, yeah, give your hands a moisture break a few times a day with some hand cream.

Some stuff I'm really enjoying right now is Posh's Paper Moon body butter. Tiffany sent me a small sample and I've been using a wee bit everyday. I love the smell and the added moisture it gives my otherwise caluss-ey little hands.

To sum up...


That's it from me. I'm sure the other Ladies of the Mountains will have some slightly more enlightening tips for you today. They seem less greaseball than me. So, don't forget to check out what they had to say!

Gentri of Gentri Lee
Lena of Musings
Michelle of On The Adventure
Meagan of The Egg Out West
Kelley of A Crooked Trail
And, guest blogger Chelsea of Sea, Field and Tribe

What's your outdoor beauty tip? 

P.S. Did you know that poplar trees produce a natural sunscreen to protect their bark, and that sunscreen can be used on humans? ... the more you know! (Expect more of these insights when I return from my Survivor(wo)man course!!

4 comments:

  1. What did we do before hand-sanitizer?! I mean, really!!

    Hope you're having fun on your course, you Survivor Woman you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! How did I not know about those trees?! SO cool. :) I need to take one of those courses! And chapstick, I don't go ANYWHERE without chapstick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i'm not really a fan of hand sanitizer, but i love your approach to this!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned SO MUCH!! Now tell me more about this tree bark...

    ReplyDelete