Friday, February 1, 2013

One word: balance

 photo DSC_0033_zps8133f7e2.jpg It's February! The month when I usually throw my goals out the window and say "the heck with resolutions, I'd rather live free." But for some reason, today, I feel great about having goals and working toward them. This morning I ate a balanced breakfast. Last night I finish my fourth book of the year and made it half way through my 13th toque. Yesterday afternoon I did yoga for the first time in a year. And, over the course of last month, I made it my mission to get outside more. I went hiking a handful of times and I climbed a frozen waterfall!

As I get older, I realize more and more that there are certain things I need in my life to be happy. I need me time. I need friend time. I need nature time. I need quiet time. I need all-out crazy dancing time. I need creative time. I need time for physical exercise. And, of course, I need time to write. I feel like January turned out to be a month where I did a good job of balancing all of those needs. It was tough at times with all of the activities going on in town for the Jasper in January festival, but that actually was a good test. I was forced to pick and choose what events to attend and when to stay home.

After making it through January, I've decided my goal for the year is to find a healthy balance. Because, when everything aligns and I get just the right amount of all of my needs, I feel fantastic.

So, one month late, I've decided my word for the year is balance.

How are your resolutions going? Have you abandoned them yet?

17 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful - I couldn't have said it better! I feel the same way about everything you describe! So happy for you for sticking to your goals! Have a fab weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome! I have a seriously difficult time finding the balance I need for all the things that make me happy... I wish I had more time in the day. During the week I'm up before the sun rises and working through sundown, I get home around 5:30/6pm, and I'm down for the count in bed by 10pm. I need more hours in the day (or, more reasonably, a smaller number of sleep hours required to function?).

    I'm hoping February brings more balance for me, as I try and find how to manage my time and activities a little better... set yoga days, set crafting time, and the ability to factor in some wiggle room just in case something goes awry. It's not easy, so I seriously applaud you for being able to satisfy your needs that easily!! Here's hoping it keeps up. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post.. as a hermit im not sure what my word of the year will be =)

    xx
    trisha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balance is a lovely word for you! It looks like you've got your needs & wants aligned, and know just what you need to make your life happy and balanced. Kudos!

    I chose my word ages ago, but haven't yet had the balls to officially announce it. But I'm working on it....

    I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THE HAPPY MAIL COMING MY WAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did I miss this today? Clearly I need to balance my blog reading with 'real life' better.. lol! LOVE this - and your artsy shot too ;o)
    Balance is a word I've often wanted tattooed on my forehead (ok, figuratively more so).. but it applies in every facet of life. We are such 'extreme' pendulum swinging souls it seems, this is key to contenment - balance. Great reflections/realizations Nicole - love watching your journey.
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
  6. great word for your year! im going to take your advice and balance out my days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great word for your year and any year! :) it's funny how you much more you learn about yourself with age. I read an article by a guy who said that every two years he realizes that he has it all figured out, until two years later when he realizes that he was a total idiot back then, which is TOTALLY ME! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Balance could be the perfect word for the whole year, but it's so hard to achieve it! lovely blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Balance, what a perfect goal.
    I've been trying for this too.
    A perfect, healthy, happy, peaceful balance.
    To learn to be content with myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Balance is a great word! Good for you :)

    My resolutions? Yep, broken. I did however keep the one about juicing most days. We bought a juicer and so far so good!

    Stephanie (visiting from the Totally Awesome Blog Hop)
    http://sharelovealways.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made an agreement to write more letters! Which I have done, but I missed the post yesterday :/ but hopefully I can get there tomorrow and send off some snail mail to you! (finally :) ) xx

    I probably had other resolutions, but have not remembered them after a month...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, right.... resolutions. Kinda forgot about those! ;)
    Found you through the GFC Collective! New follower... from Quebec! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am still holding strong on my resolutions. I'm a new follower after clicking over from the GFC blog hop!
    -Mary

    thesauerpatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. new follower from gfc :) nice job sticking with your goals! i've been meaning to read more and i just get so sidetracked. hopefully i can be better about it!
    -- jackiejade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the first year I have reached February and still had any enthusiasm for my resolutions too, I think it is to do with getting older, knowing myself a little better and understanding my needs. I still sometimes find getting the balance right a bit difficult though, either pushing myself too hard or not hard enough. Good luck keeping your motivation for the rest of the year.

    Just found you through the Totally Awesome Blog Hop - so glad I did xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I'm a new follower from the GFC Collective. This year must be the year for sticking with your goals! I have done great so far with staying organised and managing my money, which were my two major resolutions for the year :) I look forward to reading more of your blog xo

    ReplyDelete