Thursday, February 7, 2013

What to Wear: shades of blue

 photo Blue2_zps0a14ade4.jpg

We're back and this time we're showing you how to wear blue. Originally, I put together an outfit with a patterned blue skirt, blue top and blue shoes, but then Ian offered to take my outfit photos outside in the snow, so I reevaluated. I mean, flats, thin tights and a skirt just didn't scream winter in Jasper, nor did they sound like fun to wear while trudging to the perfect backdrop (the above eerie tree), so I took another peak in my closet and grabbed my new lighthouse/sailboat sweater that I got at Value Village. When I pulled it out, Ian scoffed at me for not choosing it in the first place. He said something along the lines of, "That sweater's the best piece of clothing in this entire house!" So, on it went and out the door we went for a nighttime photoshoot in the snow. (I love it when Ian's inspired! I mean, are these photos not the best!!?)

 photo Blue3_zpsc92df66d.jpg

Aside from my smile, I feel like this pose and angle makes me look tough as nails. "Don't even think about messing with me and my handmade VV sweater. We'll take you out, I tell you!"

From top to bottom:
Sweater: Handmade (VV find)
Pants: AE
Boots: Ardenes

Writing these outfit details makes me feel like this outfit is totally uninspired, but then I look at that sweater again and realize, who needs accessories when you have a lighthouse!? I mean, really, there's nothing you could add to make this outfit any better... or any cozier.

 photo Blue4_zps5fc361dd.jpg

This was another photoshoot where I wish we had a behind the scenes photographer, or videographer. I was a dummy and left my headlamp on the coffee table, so we had to share one to set up the light stand, the tripod and camera. While we were taking the photos, Ian held a huge boom with two flashes and an umbrella to light me, while also manning the camera. To light the tree behind me, there was also a light stand sitting in a pile of elk turds. That's the price you pay for a great photo in Jasper!

Oh! And, although you can't tell in the photos, we also had to trudge in calf deep snow to get to this spot. Ian had to lead the way making footprints that I could step into, otherwise, with the weight of the camera gear on my back, I was sure to topple over. Did I mention that we did all of this at 9 p.m. on Tuesday night? And, that this tree was on the edge of town where there are no streetlights, so headlamps are a must. Fun times, friends! I'm just glad that we've been having unusually warm temperatures lately. By the end of our little photoshoot, my fingers were the only part of my body that got cold.

Well folks, that's all from me this edition of What to Wear. Be sure to check in with all of the other What to Wearers to see how they styled their blue outfits.

Sondra: Abhaya Yoga

If you'd like to join the What to Wear series, send me an email. We'd love to have you! Next time (Feb. 21), we're sharing What to Wear: for a ladies night.

12 comments:

  1. Your photo shoots are the very definition of dedication. I love it! The lighting is so perfectly done! Also, yes to what Ian said--that lighthouse sweater is the best thing in anyone's house, not just yours. It's so awesome and totally doesn't need dressed up (although I'm thinking that sweater if a bright red mini skirt and like blue polka dot tights would be pretty sweet, albeit kinda complicated). Definitely a sweater worth highlighting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right - who needs accessories when you have a freaking lighthouse on your sweater?! And I love, love that Ian said this sweater was the best piece of clothing in your house. Love him. Man, I didn't want to go outside either so I took photos at my work. You are a true trooper! These photos are amazing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that sweater is probably the best piece of clothing anyone ever has had in their house. It is amazing. I wish I was this good at night photos...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so beyond happy that this sweater made it in to a WTW post! Rest assured that Russel's comment on having it in our house would have been the opposite of Ian's!

    Looking good, good lookin'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness I LOVE these photos! You guys are such troopers for doing such an awesome shoot in the snow at night. That sweater may be the best sweater I have ever laid eyes on, what an amazing find!
    Have a wonderful day!
    xo Hannah

    thebraidedbandit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Sweater is simply amazing! I don't think I have ever seen a cooler sweater! And I love the back drop of the photos, its so great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, you really should take someone along for the behind the scenes pictures. Just the description already cracks me up. And again, these pictures are 'the bomb'. How I wish I could take pictures like that! (And well, the awesomeness of your sweater speaks for itself).

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool set of photos! Love that crazy tree haha :) And your sweater is so cute! You look happy and triumphant, I would feel the same way, oh my! Dedication indeed :)

    <3 Megan
    http://kiddotv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness I LOVE that jumper.... sweater.... whatever. It's incredible! I love lighthouses so much I drew one that my husband got turned into a tattoo on him arm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that sweater's so cute one you! I'm liking the night time photos.

    ReplyDelete