Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A ski day

So this is what the lifties see when I head up the mountain. It hasn't always been this way. In fact, the hat, moustache and sunglasses are new developments from Sunday's ski trip. You (and I) can thank Ian for the alterations. He personalized his own first, adding an afro and some other fun accessories and features.

I'm bummed to say I didn't have a single liftie mention my fancy shmancy pass. I blame their bad eyesight on the fact that there was a huge Marmot staff party the night before. Better luck next time, I guess.



Now, this is what I actually look like at the hill, all geared up in my matching coat, goggles and helmet. Yeah. I'm one of those girls. (If you could see my entire jacket, you would see there's a purple stripe and a black stripe. Matchy, matchy, matchy!)



We spent a good amount of the day on the bunny hills teaching Ian's best friend to ski. Scratch that, Ian was teaching him how to ski. I was basically just watching and giggling the whole time. "Pizza, french fry. Pizza, french fry. Stop! Turn. Ahhhh..."

That all sounds pretty dramatic, but Allan actually did a really awesome job. He had a rough start, falling in a really public, ungraceful way, but by the end of the day, he was ripping down the hill faster than me. It was fun to see him progress. I didn't spend the whole day with the boys, though. I had a couple of girlfriends on their boards, so I was able abandoned the bunny hill for some harder terrain that had me eating snow time and time again. (No joke, I fell more times on one run than I have in years of skiing!)

All in all, despite the falls and the sore legs, it was a good day. The weather was great. The snow was fluffy. The mountains were visible and the sky was blue. What more can you ask for?

Have you been out skiing this season?

15 comments:

  1. I have never been skiing in my life! I would love to tho!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blogged my pics from marmot today too! Amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been out skiing this season... I'm not a great skier, and have no skis of my own. Every time people go out and invite me all I think is eeesh this is going to be a $100 plus day, I'll be terrified of falling off a mountain the whole time, and my body will hurt tomorrow. Maybe next year I'll buy some skis and try harder to like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, all of this snow and the scenery is just so beautiful! Great pictures, girl!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Russ used to ski ALL THE TIME when he was younger, but now he's too old and out of shape (I mean fat...shhh) to go. I never really took to skiing, but maybe I would like it better now that I'm in better shape! HA! I prefer winter sports that don't involve me using a ski lift (heights!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh maaaaan I want your life! I haven't gone skiing in over 5 years. :( Mega bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ..that lost shot is breathtaking - le gasp! Way to go - I've actually NEVER gone downhill skiing (yes, I am canadian!) but yeah, no way I'm strapping those things to my feet and propelling myself down a huge hill!
    Love, the total wuss bag:
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, I remember learning to go from pizza to french fries, good times. I think I'm going on a brief ski trip in Quebec next week, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an AMAZING view!
    I've not gone skiing for years. In fact, the last time I was on any sort of snow-blade, I ended up wrapping myself around the poles on the bunny slopes. Vowed to stick with tubes after that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The views are fantastic!! I can't believe that we spent a whole winter in the mountains and actually never made it to the top hahah I guess I'm scared and Ben isn't interested enough :-) But you remind me that it's worth it especially for the photos!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  11. This seems like fun! I've never been to the snow but when I finally so, I'll stick to.those bunny hills haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, it looks absolutely incredible! I have never been skiing but I so want to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a wonderful day! Miss skiing already :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, falling down is part of the fun, or so they tell me. The only time I see them fall in the snow is when I push them. haha

    It looked like a great day to ski. Clear skies, yet a good amount of snow to shred through. :)

    Exie Bethel

    ReplyDelete