Tuesday, March 19, 2013

An empty house (cute dog photos)


The lovely Lola left our humble abode on Sunday morning, leaving us to yet again relish in our freedom. I'll admit, during her stay, there were moments where I really enjoyed having her around, especially in the morning. She was a sneaky little lady, so she knew that as soon as Ian was out the door, she was welcome on the bed for snuggles with me. I also didn't mind having her snuggle up next to me while I was working on the couch. Basically, anytime she was in a snugly mood, I was all for having a dog. It was the other parts of being a dog owner that I didn't enjoy. The walking early in the morning and before bed. The picking up poo (ICK!). The playing for HOURS. The whining when you're too busy or too tired to play. The yelping when you hide the toys because you're just so done with having your arm pulled out of its socket.

Lola loved Ian. When no one would play with her, she'd end up on his lap while he played video games. Half the time, she'd even watch the screen.
Oh yeah... and then there were the really stressful incidents. Let me tell you, I could have lived without those. Curious? Long story short, she likes to herd cars and on Wednesday night she jumped over our balcony and was loose for an HOUR running after moving vehicles! It was 8 p.m., we had a pizza in the oven and we were expecting a chill evening of eating, laughing and hanging out. Well, things didn't turn out that way. Instead, I sprinted for the first time since high school track and field, and anytime I got near Lola, she would bolt off in the opposite direction, leaving us to jump in front of the vehicles she was attempting to herd by biting at their tires and running into their headlights. Not only was it totally stressful because, obviously, we didn't want this dog to get run over and die, it was also totally embarrassing. Ian kept saying, "It's not my dog. It's my friend's dog." He was basically begging everyone we encountered not to judge us as bad dog owners.

To catch her, we finally jumped in the car, drove toward her, opened the passenger door and called her name. Turns out she likes more than herding cars. She also likes riding in them. So, she hopped right in. What an adventure!

The other incident wasn't quite so traumatic or dramatic for that matter. It just involved her pulling the leash out of my hands and bolting. I managed to catch her that time, but when I did, I slipped on a piece of ice and smoked my lower back. Did I mention that happened on Saturday morning... after I had been out until 4:30 a.m. on Friday night. No. I didn't. Well, yeah... that happened, and I wasn't pleased.

Moral of the story: dogs aren't for me... unless there's a breed that only wants to cuddle.

**When I came home Sunday night after skiing all afternoon, I will admit, I did miss having Lola waiting for me at the door. And, there have been moments in the last two days where I've waited for the jingle of her collar in the hallway making its way to my side. But, despite those small things, I'm happy to be back to enjoying my freedom, I swear!**

14 comments:

  1. What a cutie! I agree with you: dogs aren't for me. We have one, but I could live without him. I feel guilty admitting that, but it's just the truth. My ideal pet is something more along the lines of a fish. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha.. My Abby is the same way.. she will bolt whenever she gets the chance. I guess whenever she feels too caged in. I have learned that if I open the car door she also jumps in or if I yell treat at her! They're a handful but so loving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. D'awwwww. She's adorable! I'm so glad Maila's not a herder of cars. Dealt with dogs like that before, and it most certainly isn't fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cuuuuute! I almost spiraled into this diatribe about how I want fifty dogs and fifty cats and fifty red pandas and fifty fennec foxes and fifty of every kind of cute cuddly animal... and of course in this scenario they are all well-behaved and well-fed... but... well, I'm just a big ol' softie and a big ol' sucker for animals in general. I can totally see myself turning into that creepy old lady in the corner house that no one ever sees unless she's herding her farm of pets in the house for suppertime. :x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha wellll that is a border collie mix, so as far as dogs go, that's about as active as they get! Our dogs are sleepy cuddlers :)

    xo, B | SanBriego.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Lola has the most expressive eyes! She looks like a bundle of energy so I see where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute dog photos! I want to buy a dog now. :)

    But, I don't want to deal with its poop.

    My parents' dog loves my boyfriend more than me and is constantly in his lap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's such a pretty dog but yeah that breed has a lot of energy! And I feel your pain about her getting loose. The first day I had Lyra in my new place, I took her to go get coffee and tied her up outside the door (which she's done a million times before). This time something spooked her, though, and she managed to slip off her collar and bolt across two five-lane busy roads! It was horrible, and I was dodging cars running after her, and she ended leaping off a twenty foot wall. It was my worst nightmare. I eventually caught up with her and all that was wrong (besides some very sore front legs) was a broken nail. When I popped back in to the coffee shop to thank the barista who chased after her, he looked at me like I was dirt and told me she should be dead because of what I did. It was horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha I love Ian's expression! While she's just staring at him with admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! I have ventured over from another blog where I saw your button. I'm enjoying this little peak into your world! Just lovely!

    I’m hosting a super duper group giveaway, starting tomorrow. Don’t miss out!

    XOXO, Mandi @ All My Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww puppy!! glad she is okay and back in a safe house.. my suggestion get a teeny dog - aka mini wiener that cant jump over a balcony!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, she's a cutie but you can even tell in the pictures that she's playful!

    ReplyDelete