Friday, March 29, 2013

At this time last year: February and March

With February being a short month, I didn't have a chance to do a recap of what was going on with me at this time in 2012, so I thought I would make up for that by putting two months together. That way you-all don't miss out on any of last year's escapades.

As you can see in the photo above, Ian and I did some light painting in early February at Patricia Lake. It was my first time ever attempting such a thing, but, for Ian, it was old news. So, he set up the camera and just let me run around like a fool, flinging my headlamp around in hopes of creating something cool.


Last February was also the month of Jasper's annual Pride Weekend, which culminates on the Saturday night with a huge masquerade ball. Ian and I made our own masks for the event and his, in particular, was a huge hit with the men in the room who were often drawn to stroking the beak.
Still to this day, Ian and I talk about the ball. It was by far the best event of 2012. From the energy in the room to the amazing drag show by Guys in Disguise, it was a hoot and a half. This year's Pride Weekend is next month. The theme is legends and fairy tales and we already know what we'll be wearing. (You'll see in due time, friends. I'm not going to spoil the surprise!)

In February of 2012, I won an award for the above photo. I took it while working in Yellowknife, NWT in 2011. The photo depicts two women who were struck by a taxi while they were crossing the street in a marked crosswalk.


In March, I made it on Craftgawker.com for the first time with this easy needlebook made out of scrap felt. A year later, I'm still getting all kinds of traffic because of that project.


I also made this earring holder that now hangs in my bathroom with a butt-tonne more earrings on it than are pictured here. I absolutely adore having every pair I own organized and displayed. When friends come over, I get so many compliments on my collection. One of my girlfriends even confessed to modelling a bunch of them in the mirror one night. She said she only confessed because she was scared I would noticed they had all been shifted around. I can honestly say I'm not that observant. It did make for a good laugh, though.


My career as a fashion blogger started a year ago with What to Wear on a first date. At that time, the series was being organized by two lovely ladies, Jill and Alana. Since then, they have both shuttered the windows on their blogs, while I've done my best to keep the series going strong. Over the year, I've watched What to Wear go from three ladies all the way up to 15. It's been quite the adventure and I'm so happy to see it grow from post to post.

You-all have heard of the Double Down, right? You know, that totally disgusting sandwich from KFC that instead of a bun has two pieces of fried chicken. Yeah. Well, we made our own last year ... and they were AH.MAZING! I totally recommend making one at least once in your life. You won't regret it.

This photo is funny for a number of reasons: a) currently my closet is nowhere near this tidy—the entire top shelf is currently covered in my ski gear; b) what is going on with my hair under that hat?; c) I have so many more clothes now; and finally, d) I'm wearing flared jeans!!!

Anyway, last year I showed all of you how I organize my closet and I explained how I learned my organizational approach during my years as a Value Village employee. I can honestly say, my closet still follows the exact same rules today.

That's what I was up to last year. Do you remember what you were doing?

3 comments:

  1. haha.. you're so hilarious/cute/awesome... no matter what year - or flared jeans you wear!
    Love it! last year... hmm.. no clue!
    happy easter sweets!
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I love your writing style! you're so cute and open about everything!

    www.kotrynabass.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Light painting is awesome! I did it for the first (and still only) time last summer. We spelled out some rather crude words with sparklers. It was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete