Monday, March 11, 2013

Cabane a sucre

March is a month dedicated to celebrating French culture in Jasper. So, over the weekend, the French community hosted a Soiree cabane a sucre (sugar shack). There was fiddle music, delicious food (tourtiere and crepes. YUM!) and, of course, maple on a stick. My first-ever sugar shack was in Inuvik, NWT back in 2011. But, I was on the verge of a wicked cold, so I didn't partake in the maple. So, when the opportunity arose to give it another shot, I was there with bells on.




Ian didn't want to come, but he also didn't want to miss out on the delicious treat, so before I ran out the door on Saturday, he asked if I'd bring a Ziplock bag and bring a stick back home for him. Being the sweetheart that I am, I awkwardly followed through and when I arrived home, we shared our dessert while watching an episode of Boss.

 Nom nom nom.

Have you ever been to a sugar shack?

11 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to have maple on a stick! Sad that I missed the sugar shack in Jasper!

    Summer x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really terrible that I haven't. I grew up in Northern Ontario, and there was a tonne of maple syrup produced locally. Looks like you had a good time, I didn't know the syrup was running already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super jealous! Before moving to the city, I used to go to at least two sugar shack things in March for probably a good ten years. Even through the awkward I-hate-everything stages of being a teenager, sugar shacks are super fun. Definitely missing the maple sticks and fiddles and carriage rides through the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks so delicious!!! We have so many culture festivals in Dallas but I never seem to find the time to attend most of them.

    I also wish that we sometimes lived closer north so we could experience some things like this. Alas, I'll definitely add it to my bucket list of things to do!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never even heard of a sugar shack! I do love maple syrup though and all things festive :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you say sugar? I'm all in, baby! I've never been to a sugar shack. We have a sno cone shack in our neighborhood. Does that count? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A weekend full of French cuisine, sounds awesome! I have never even heard of a sugar shack, but it looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up going to them ALL THE TIME in Vermont. My dad actually sells the sugaring equipment and has for my entire life, my family sugars, it's pretty much in my blood. I love It!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh hi! I am from Quebec and even if I go to the Cabane à Sucre each year, I cant get rid of it, I always want my maple stick! I love discovering also maple products and recipes! (I made a potage last week : maple and corn and it was so delicious!).

    Olive xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of such things before but it sounds amazing! I am a fan of maple syrup and they sound delicious. Like a toffee apple without the apple.

    ReplyDelete