Thursday, March 28, 2013

LOTM: hiking treat

When I'm out in the wilderness, I love me a good granola bar, especially one that I've made myself. Ian and I have been making our own granola bars for awhile now, although, I'll admit until this week it had been a few months since our last batch. I love these for breakfast or out on the trail. It's something easy to munch on while you're still moving. Brilliant, yes?
 
Plus, they taste like a treat when you make them with marshmallows and cranberries. Nom nom nom. (OK, you caught me, they are a treat. They're basically just the fanciest, most delicious Rice Crispie squares you'll ever find.)

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup wheat germ
  • 2 cups oats
  • 3 cups Rice Crispies
  • 1 cup Honey Nut Cheerios
  • .5 cup cranberries
  • .5 cup crushed cashews
  • .5 cup sunflower seeds
  • 250 gram bag of marshmallows
  • .25 cup butter

Directions:

  • Toast wheat germ and oats on a baking sheet in the oven for a few minutes
  • In the meantime, melt butter and marshmallows on low heat
  • Add everything else to the butter and marshmallows and mix well
  • Pack the mixture into two well-greased loaf pans
  • Leave to sit until hardened
  • Cut around the edges and bang the bottom of the pan to get the loaf out
  • Slice into bars and individually wrap for a quick snack on the go


Om nom nom nom. I can't wait to get these in my belly. They're going to be a perfect snack to munch on in Lake Louise this weekend. Have I mentioned I'm going to Lake Louise? No? Oh. Well, yeah, I'm going tomorrow and it's going to be glorious! (I promise plenty of gorgeous photos upon my return!)

Well folks, that's it for me this edition of Ladies of the Mountains. If you want to check out what the other mountainistas put together as their favourite hiking treat, mosey your cute butts over to their blogs for a look-see.


Gentri of Gentri Lee
Kelley of A Crooked Trail
Lena of Musings
Meagan of The Egg Out West
Michelle of On The Adventure
And, guest blogger Jorie of Charmed Life

10 comments:

  1. Lake Louise! Lucky lady!! And also, nom nom nom indeed! Those look super tasty. But first I need to try those baked apples I saw in somebody else's post the other day. Also, I think I used up all my marshmallows....hmmmm.....to the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaaaaaaw maaaaaaan! I want to go to Lake Louise again, so badly!! I am going to try to come this Summer!

    These look so good and beautiful, nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delish. I have some outings around town this coming weekend also but nothing with the view that you're going to have.. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum that looks good! I love making this kind of stuff at home!!!! thanks for sharing
    Tereza

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damnit, lady! I wanna go back to Lake Louise. :( These do look delicious though. I've been meaning to try my hand at granola bars for a while now. Must hit up the Bulk Barn asap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, I'm definitely making these. If there are marshmallows, I'm in. Have fun this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's no Bulk Barn out there?! Oh man, I'm sorry. That is awful! I try to avoid it as much as possible because no matter what my intention, I always leave with a giant bag full of crap. Every time. Without fail. "Oh I got a bag full of apple chips, so that entitles me to seven bags of solid sugar because reasons."

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks SO good!! I am absolutely going to be making some of these this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who knew that homemade granola bars were so easy? Not this girl.

    Time to get my bake on.

    ReplyDelete