Monday, March 18, 2013

Para-bevie: drink delivery from the sky


A couple weeks ago, while my girlfriends and I were checking out an art show, we got into a ridiculous and hilarious conversation about an untapped market in town: swim up bars. We pictured tourists swimming in any number of beautiful lakes in Jasper National Park this summer, thinking something along the lines of, "What I wouldn't give for a margarita right now" and then POW, there they are at an amazing bar without even having to leave the water. Brilliant, right!? We thought so.

But then we realized, "Oh yah, we live in a national park in Canada, not a resort in Mexico, so it would probably be frowned upon to sell liquor to people swimming in a lake, with really, really deep, made-for-drowning areas. (Can I assume the swim up bars in Mexico are limited to really shallow pools where all drinkers are able to stand up if they so choose?)

Now, despite our initial defeat, it didn't stop us from brainstorming. We asked ourselves, "how else can we make drinking in public easier in the park?" And then it dawned on us... drinks from the sky! Imagine this, you're parched, you're walking around and you're dying for a beverage and then suddenly an adorable little parachute comes drifting down and attached to it is your beverage of choice. Nice, right?



Enter para-bevie. I made this hot air balloon inspired drink delivery system as a birthday gift for one of my girlfriends last week. She had totally forgotten about the previously mentioned conversation, so she had a good laugh when I pulled this out from behind my back.

I have to admit, I'm pretty stoked with how it turned out. It perfectly fits a mini bottle of wine.

To make your own, check out this pattern (I enlarged the pieces by about a third). For my basket, unlike the one in the pattern, I hot glued felt around a plastic flower pot and then just used a needle to thread the twine through. The whole project took me about three hours to complete, which—considering I did all of the stitching by hand—is pretty good, I'd say.

Have you made any fun crafts lately?


13 comments:

  1. We were at Marmot Basin last week and I would have done anything for a drink from the sky! Those Black runs were quite daunting and a flying gin and tonic would have just been the perfect encouragement to ski faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was up there yesterday and there was a whole bunch of fresh snow that had been tracked out, turning the whole hill into a moguls track! Needless to say, everywhere I went I was pooping my pants a little bit. I could have definitely used a bevie or two. ;)

      Delete
    2. I hate moguls! My darling hubby persuaded me to go up Knob Chair- needless to say he agreed it was a bad idea once we were up there!

      Delete
  2. This is AWESOME! I would love a drink from the sky. ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! And that's an incredibly thoughtful birthday gift too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. super cute! there are definitely some times when I would just love for a bottle of wine to float down from the sky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog and this post is super cute. No. I have not made a craft lately, but I should.

    I look forward to seeing more cute things. I just added you to my bloglovin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea! And aren't you the cutest friend ever for making this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha how fun is this?! I'm a supporter of anything that makes drinking easier and more fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That seems like it should be made into a beer commercial...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is like the best idea ever, and I am the biggest fan of people who actually follow through on those silly little ideas. So much win!

    ReplyDelete