Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Relishing freedom (no dogs allowed)

If you popped in yesterday to read my Currently post, you already know there's a dog in my house. Her name is Lola. She's a border collie cross of some kind and she's lovely. I've been singing "Lola. La-la-la-lola" and it makes her come running, which is super cute. But, despite that, I have a confession.

I'm not a dog person. In fact, I'm not an animal-of-any-kind person. I'm also not a baby person, or a toddler person, or a child or teenager person and a lot of the time I don't like people my own age or older. Oh! And I'm also not a plant person. So, basically what I'm saying is, I'm not a caretaker. I'm caring. There's no denying that. But, I don't choose to care for animals or children or plants... or old people... or people my age. If someone I know needs a hand, I'm there. If someone I don't know needs a hand and I know I'm capable and I know I can make a difference, I'll probably be there, too. But, I likely won't ever adopt a dog or a cat or a fish or a bird. Nor will I have any babies or offer to babysit, unless a friend REALLY needs it.

It's just not in my nature to care for needy things. I'm too independent. I like leaving the house whenever I want without having to walk something or water something or feed something other than myself. I like being able to go on a road trip at the drop of a hat without having to find someone else to do all of the above. I like freedom. In fact, I relish it. I live for it. I take advantage of it. And I never, ever want to lose it.


So, although Lola is adorable—I mean, just look at those cute little eyes—I'm looking forward to having my life back in a few days. I look forward to sleeping through the night without waking up every time she walks around and finds a new sleeping position. I look forward to not having a puddle of water on my kitchen floor. And I look forward to being worry-free when I leave the house. (Side note: I'll admit, despite all the things I'm looking forward to, I don't mind having Lola's warm body sleeping next to me as I write this. She's pretty adorable all nuzzled up against my lap... No! I will not convert!)

How about you? Are you an animal person?

13 comments:

  1. I totally get that. Freedom is a wonderful thing to have. There have been a few times where I had to be the one left behind on random adventures because no one else would be around to take care of Maila. It sucks sometimes, but I'm far too much of a dog person to live without one! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the hugest animal person. And I grew up with a border collie cross who was the love of my life for 18 beautiful years! They are my favourite dog, they're super smart! and Lola is just perfect.

    I can't imagine living life without a dog, and as soon as I'm our of my apartment and have a garden, I'll be getting one (or two, or a few chickens, a goat and a pig)... and a collie most likely at that!


    chloex

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so cute! I can definitely understand wanting freedom, but man I can't imagine my own life without my dog. I think David was definitely on team freedom but I'm converting him, mostly by him seeing how much Lyra influences my mood and balances me out. The important thing is to know yourself well enough to know what you want and don't want, and then live an honest life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a HUGE dog person. And probably a baby person. I love having Cypress in the house, not because I get to take care of her but because of the love she gives in return...the dog hair and smell and food is all worth it to me. That's just me though, and the freedom can be tough to give up for sure. If it's not for you, it's not for you, and I think it's awesome when people know enough about themselves to know absolutely what is and isn't for them. I'm rambling. Enjoy having a "sometimes dog" and enjoy relishing your freedom even more when she's gone back to her owners! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH I JUST WANT FIFTY OF THEM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lola is so cute! Our dog's name is Lola too and we totally sing that song to her all the time...ha! I am totally a dog person, but it's true what you say about having a dog being a big commitment as it does limit your freedom to come and go as you please. Our dog is like my child and to me it's totally worth it the sacrifices I've had to make, but at the same time I think it's really important to know yourself and be honest with yourself, which it sounds like you are which is great! I've volunteered at the Humane Society for years and I've seen way too many people who don't know themselves and like the idea of a dog, and a adopt without really thinking how it's going to fit into their lives. Not good. Anyway, Lola is such a cute dog, thanks for sharing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a cat person(as you know) but I think that's just because I grew up with cats! I also love babies, but only before they're able to run around and get into everything. LOL. I think I just like things that cuddle you and fall asleep on you most of the time you're around. Sleeping things are cute.

    My man friend is a huge dog person (he had a dog when he was a boy, but his family moved after only two months and he had to give his dog away so he romanticizes it in his head I think)so I'm emotionally preparing myself to one day have a dog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh too cute!

    I always feel like that changes once you've found the right pet! All dogs are different. I've had playful, energetic, anxiety scaredy puppies, lazy and cuddly.

    I grew up with two dogs and a cat. Also surrounded by other dogs, hamsters, birds, etc. I took in another dog a few years ago and then soon after a puppy. I'm not much of a cat person but doggies, yes please haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also not an animal person, and apparently (so far) the only commenter who will join you in this! HA! We had two wonderful cats when I was a kid, but I have never really been interested in having one of my own. And Russ is allergic, so that eliminates all of that now anyway! Dude likes animals, but he's way too scatterbrained (like his poor mom) to take care of one. And I already have one kid and one big kid to take care of, that I really don't need to add another in to the mix! HA!

    I think having chickens would be completely amaze-balls, but only so I could have fresh eggs all the time and wait for interesting responses when I tell people I have chickens...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man. I giggled as I read parts of this. There's absolutely nothing wrong with not being an animal person. I was exactly like you, I love my freedom and want to be able to leave and do whatever I want. Then I got a cat.. and I fell in love with her love for me. I then got a dog and I could NEVER go back! She's my calming, soothing, loving, amazing best friend. Look at Ms. Lola.. she's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am totally an animal person, I huge part of my heart wishes I could have a furry little friend all of my own right now. However, I am enjoying the freedom from that responsibility for now. The freedom to live between my place and my boyfriend's, to head out to the mountains for the weekend at the drop of a hat, and to travel with no worries about where the pets will be. I know that in the future that'll change, and when it does you can bet I'll have a dog or cat or both.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is how I feel currently about babies - I don't mind taking care of them from time to time but mostly I just want to give them back and move on...

    ReplyDelete
  13. you already know the answer for me.. we have our lola, polly and ella..i will never be without a furry friend in my life. they just mean way too much to me

    now as far as miniature humans..nope..those you can keep far far away from me!

    xx
    trisha
    veranellies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete