Monday, April 8, 2013

Big news


This is the face of a very happy, nervous and excited lady. Why, you might ask. Well, because I am now the editor of the Fitzhugh newspaper here in Jasper!!

After more than a month of negotiations, my position became official on Wednesday. The Fitzhugh is the newspaper I moved to Jasper to work for a year and a half ago, so I'm really excited to transition back into the newsroom and into a new role. I really enjoyed my time working with Edmonton's Vue Weekly this winter, but it was pretty isolating working from home. In fact, it was incredibly difficult to stay motivated. It's honestly crazy how great it feels to get up and go to the office each morning. I'm much more positive and productive and I'm even feeling incredibly creative.

I guess it doesn't hurt that my two best friends work in the office, so now I basically just get to hang out with them all day. I have to say, that's pretty rad, especially since we're all really passionate about improving the paper and making it into the best product we possibly can. I'm so excited to work with my girls and to be back in the community. Now I can only hope that I do the community and the paper proud.

**My first issue as editor comes out on Thursday. You can see a PDF version on our website, if you're at all interested.**

In other news, Reasons My Son is Crying is the funniest Tumblr I have ever seen. 
Check it out. You won't regret it.

33 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so amazing, darlin! Very happy for you! So so cool! :) Big hugs, Miss. Editor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my hero! Well done, and enjoy!!!

    Chloexx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! How exciting! You should be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!!!! I can't wait to read your stuff in the Fitzhughs! So happy for you!!

    Summer x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's awesome! Congratulations! I expect top-notch journalism from you, ma'am. Also, that tumblr is the best. I'm definitely of the opinion that taking pictures of my kids when they're in full-blown crying mode will be a top priority when it comes to recording my memories with them. So hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATULATIONS! That's so cool!

    And omg Jordan and I totally looked at the Reasons My Son Is Crying tumblr last night before bed, and it made us laugh until we cried too. The captions are just precious. "The milk is not juice."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoop Whoop! Still excited for you...still happy you got what you wanted! GROWN UPS!!

    Also, Reasons My Son is Crying is completely the real deal. I started laughing until I realized that it was my life, so I had to avert my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats again there happy pretty face!! Glad its a great change for you! Oh, and yes.... those are alll the reasons a kid cries about.. lol!
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats!! That is so impressive, I'm sure the paper is extremely lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome - CONGRATULATIONS!!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's amazing! I would love to get into editing! How did you get started out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I graduated from journalism school in 2010 and since then I've been working at various newspapers. Part of my job has always been editing, but now I have the fancy pants title and a few more responsibilities.

      Delete
  12. Congrats! That's absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! Very happy for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! That is totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! Just stopping by from The Collective link up. Nice to see a fellow Alberta ;)

    Lindsey @ tinyinklings.blogspot.ca
    *new follower*

    ReplyDelete
  16. WHAT that's so coooool! Congratuliations!

    Also that tumblr is hilarious, thanks for making me snort into my cereal.

    xxx
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  17. congrats nicole! :D that's so awesome.

    xoxo, Oleah
    xthesimplethingsx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMGG! Congratulations! So happy for you :) And I love that Tumblr, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your new position!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! That sounds like an amazing job, somewhere you could be truly content! I hope it goes great and you keep feeling creative about it.

    Also, you've got me settled for the rest of the day with that tumblr. *giggles* Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! And that was a pretty funny tumblr link.

    ReplyDelete