Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Guys in Disguise

As promised yesterday, here are some photos from Saturday night's drag show by Edmonton's Guys in Disguise. This photo is Justine Tyme as Taylor Swift. Although I didn't know who that was until after the performance, that was still one of my favourites. Justine started out really sweet, holding a guitar and making childish girly faces and movements and then she literally started swinging her guitar around while angrily singing the lyrics to "We're Never Ever Getting Back Together." I was laughing so hard that it was nearly impossible to hold my camera steady enough to get a decent shot. Pure awesome, friends. Pure awesome.

Now this is Terri Stevens. I can't remember what she was singing at this moment, but she did some hilarious renditions, as well. She sang Katy Perry's "Firework" and every time the explosions happened she started screaming and running around the stage like a fool. It was the best. So, freaking funny. Let me tell you, these ladies really know how to perform.



Here's Justine busting out her best Annie Lennox impersonation. The more I think about it, the more I realize what an art drag is. I mean, not only do you have to look good, you also have to be a comedian, dance in heels, believably lip sync and do impersonations. These women are unbelievable!


Now this last photo is of one of Jasper's own. This is Mychol, the co-ordinator of OUT Jasper. He came on for a surprise performance of "I Am What I Am" and it was totally amazing. My socks were blown clear off. I knew he was going to dress in drag, but I had no idea he'd be performing. What a diva!

All in all, just like last year, it was an incredible night. I had way too much fun. The show was hilarious and entertaining and the dance party that followed it was out of this world, with people in ridiculous costumes taking to the floor to show off their moves. I was so hyped up by the time the party ended, my girlfriend and I ended up bar hopping until everything in town was closed. We danced it up something fierce. (No joke, we started our own solo dance party at the back of a pub because we were so jacked. We figured if we danced, people would join. Well, that didn't happen. But that also didn't stop us for getting down. Ha!)

Have you ever been to a drag show? What'd you think?

6 comments:

  1. That looks like an amazing party! My only experience with drag shows is from the movies, but it would be a complete riot to see it in person!

    And I'm glad you had a good time dancing even though no one joined in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE drag shows! They are sososososo much fun. My university would hold one every year that would raise a ton of money for different charities. We also had a condom fashion show every year which was also AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a club in Blackpool, England called Funny Girls. It is a transvestite caberet club and pretty much all of the staff are in drag. They do a show on the stage every half an hour and it is just amazing! Men in drag have the best legs ever! This is a video of the Funny Girls in action at the Royal Variety Performace doing Swine Lake- sure the Queen loved it too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krDUAHwpSXk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to a drag show this weekend too! We have the best drag show here in Kansas City and YES--the absolute best dancing afterwards!! So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to a drag show, but we have one here in Sandpoint where community members dress in drag and perform. I think we'll have to go next year.

    This look so fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been - we almost did in San Francisco but it just didn't work out. Looks like a blast though!

    ReplyDelete