Monday, April 15, 2013

Paper baggin' it

Despite the fact that I work under the pressure of deadlines every day, or at least every week, in the areas of my life that don't involve words, I don't actually do well with last minute planning and articulation. So, when I returned from a quick trip to the next town over on Saturday afternoon, I was a wee bit frantic. You see, I had a few hours until I had to be a convincing and, of course, adorable Paper Bag Princess for the annual Jasper Pride ball. The theme was fairy tales and legends and for weeks I knew I'd be dressing as the grimy little Robert Munsch character. But, instead of getting down to business and making my costume in advance, I literally waited until the last dying moments to throw it together. People, let me tell you, I was an anxious mess as I cut and duct taped this thing together. Halfway through and after one failed attempt, I was utterly convinced I was going to look like a disaster.

I know what you're probably thinking, "You literally have to cut a hole for your head and one for each of your arms and you're done." Now, before you continue on with this thought process, can we please return to the part where I said I wanted to look adorable. OK, now rethink your logic. A paper bag is shapeless and far less than adorable. So, simply cutting holes for my limbs and head just wasn't going to cut it. No, I had to do some shaping and creative cutting to make my "dress" into something at least somewhat flattering.

Now, as you can see, despite my stress, I TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY accomplished my goal. (Modesty is not my strong point!) 



The best part of my success, though, wasn't my dress, it was that Ian looked equally as awesome as a dragon, basically making us the hit of the party. (Aside from the drag queens who totally outshone us in every possible way. It seems a paper bag doesn't even come close to a feather headdress and sequin gown. **Check back tomorrow to see for yourself. I promise you, the photos are beyond incredible.**)


Who would you be if you had to dress up for a fairy tales and legends party?

9 comments:

  1. I was once the Paperbag Princess for Halloween. Shaping a dress out of paper is much harder than I ever would have expected. I like your take on it - mine was more of a wrap dress with with a twine belt and I had a real (ie plastic) crown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so adorable! Now I want to throw a fairy tale party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is ADORABLE, you totally nailed paper bag princess! I love the last picture with the dragon, this sounds like an amazing event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two look absolutely amazing! Ian looks like he's really getting into character there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic costume! that is some crafty business making paper bags wearable!
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would go as the Gorgon! Medusa, with all her snakes and evil! That would be awesome! Can't wait to see more pics from this... It is a genius party idea. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What would I do? Make it myself and post it on my blog too!!! I love it, your costume is so fun looking! It makes me want to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look adorable. I had a Canadian friend and her boyfriend dress up as this a few years ago for Halloween and none of us knew who the Paper Bag Princess was :) I was excited to see your pics of it!

    ReplyDelete