Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The mountains

Although I've lived in Jasper for a year and a half, the majestic beauty of the Rocky Mountains still hasn't worn off. Every time I leave the house, I'm stunned by their presence. I look up and think, 'Wow!' at least once a day. It could be a mountain I've seen 1,000 times before and I'll still be amazed. It could just be the way the sun is hitting it in that moment or it could be the way the snow has melted, leaving an intricate pattern behind. It seems like they're always changing.

At this point, it's hard for me to imagine waking up to any other view. I can't imagine going for a walk and not seeing these incredible slabs of rock in every direction. It's even hard for me to believe that I lived an entire year in Yellowknife where there isn't a single mountain to be seen. Of course there's beauty in all landscapes, but it seems the mountains are where I feel most at home. (That's probably because I grew up in a village surrounded by them.) There is just something so cozy about being surrounded. It's like I live in a big mountain-y bear hug.

It was a gorgeous day on Sunday and I had no plans, so I decided to hop in the car and go for a little photo adventure—an adventure devoted to Jasper's gorgeous mountains. I drove the highway toward Hinton—a road I've driven dozens of times before—and this time stopped anytime I saw something that caught my eye. I probably pulled the car over half a dozen times to capture these photos.





All in all, even though it's "brown season" when everything is mucky and muddy, I'm pretty happy with my photos. The sky is blue and the mountains are as majestic as ever. You can't ask for much more than that.

Plus, my adventure was a great opportunity to just throw on some tunes and go for a leisurely drive. Sometimes that's all you need to clear your head and get yourself on track for another week.

Have you been on any photo adventures lately?

9 comments:

  1. Moving back to Ontario after my stint in BC was really weird. For the longest time, I'd see cloud formations that kiiiind of looked like mountains and it made me sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time you post something like this that joke that David and I share about moving to Canada gets a little less serious ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forever jealous of your mountain life. BAH! It's so gorgeous. Though I think I'd rather live on the coast myself. Vancouver looks more enticing every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you say "throw on some tunes". To me it sounds like "throw on a dress, a cardigan and a pair of hiking boots". Like music is something you robe yourself in.

    Which, of course, it is.

    xxx
    http://thulefiona.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Hi my name is Nicole, and I am really really good at making my blog pal Lisa super envious of my gorgeous mountain life in her favourite town in the whole world!"

    Yep...that...

    I know you're just posting all these gorgeous pictures to entice me to come visit. Don't twist my arm or anything. Can I sleep on your couch? Or your floor? Or in your car? It's all good....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm the mountains. I think it's what I'm going to miss the most when I move to minnesota. It's actually been so sunny over here that the mountains have been sooo visible.. I straight up cried in my car the other day because Mt. Baker was so beautiful. Cheesy... but you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same about the mountains - 9 months later and I still find myself in awe of the mountains plunging into the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photographs! The Korean landscape was very mountainous and I was in a constant state of awe that I could be standing in the middle of a built up, busy city area and still see the mountains looming over the urban sprawl~ it made me feel very tiny and definitely reminded me of my place in the natural order of things.

    ReplyDelete