Monday, May 13, 2013

European dreamin'

Fifteen-year-old me hanging out in Amsterdam. No big deal.
As I write this, my big brother and my dad are chilling out in Holland with all of my extended family... and right now, as I write this, I am JEALOUS. I can't deny it. I mean, of course, I'm totally stoked for them. This is, after all, my brother's first time in Europe and, in some cases, it's his first time meeting some of the fam jam. I, on the other hand, had the pleasure of going through all of those new experiences nearly 12 years ago when I was a wee little 15-year-old girl. But, even though I've done it all once before, I am still incredibly jealous of their adventure. I want to go back so badly, especially now that I'm an adult. My mom was pretty great when we were there, letting me go off to the "disco" with my older cousins—the two evenings I did that were my first ever bar experiences—but, still, I think it would be so amazing go back as a full-blown grown-up. I'd have more control over my money. I'd get to call the shots and see exactly what I want to see. I'd get to pick all the restaurants and places to stay. I'd get to fly by the seat of my pants and chill out a bit. Yeah, that all sounds pretty great.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I think it's time I start saving for my next European adventure.

Have you been to Europe as an adult?

11 comments:

  1. I should start saving for my next Canadian adventure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family and I visited Amsterdam as well (I think I was 12? 13? and my brother was 15 or 16..) and we were walking around and my brother goes "I smell weed" like the teenage blockhead he was, and we all looked at him and went "sooo, you know what that smells like huh?" Totally busted! It was pretty hilarious to 13 year old me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amsterdam is awesome - my aunt lives about 30 minutes from there in Germany and we visit quite often when we go up north to visit family. I actually live in the south of Germany and been to many European places but after living in the US for 7 years in total, I am really jealous about anyone who live there! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to Ireland about 7 years ago. I daydream about going back almost every single day. Friendliest people ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Europe, period! But I desperately want to go to Venice. Or Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm Dutch and ironically enough my brother visited the Canadian Rockies last month. I totally get the jealousy and i can tell you: the pictures and stories after he gets home only make it worse.

    If it's any consolation: the weather's been horrible here the last couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is my goal to get to Ireland, I was so supposed to go my the summer going into sophomore year of college with my sister and gramma to stay with friends and family for 4 weeks! guess who blew it off for a boy?! and guess what boy dumped me during that time?! holy man, if i could go back in time i would have dumped his ass and headed to ireland for the summer..oi!

    xx
    trisha
    veranellies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so jealous you got to go at all! I still have yet to leave North America (or go further than two hours south of the border). Hoping for Munich next year though! My sister lives there and will know exactly where to go so there won't be any worry of tourist anxiety. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, come to Europe and come visit me in Belgium! This summer is the first time I'm crossing the ocean to the US, superexcited. Kind of lame that it's so expensive though! I haven't been outside of Europe besides Tunesie. I have to say, it's probably easier (cheaper?) for us to travel because everything is in shorter distance. I'm in Paris or London in two hours by train. America and Canada is just so freaking big. Lots to explore ofcourse, but we're quicker in another country I guess. I don't know what I'm trying to say though... Where have you been outside of Holland?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we sat in the same shoe my dear...
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1iRe6ZAhPTQ/UUpKhvFS_yI/AAAAAAAAGfU/ArjYKd3Jg8M/s1600/travel1.JPG
    HA! LOVE Europe.. sooooooo wish/want to go back!! Too bad I fell for a guy that wasn't rich, so we'll have to settle for living off love, and dream of going there someday long away. ;o)
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went to Italy in junior high, and it was amazing! I would love to take Dude there and just let him explore. I have always wanted to go to the Czech Republic. But I wouldn't complain if I had to go somewhere else!

    ReplyDelete