Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A week away

For the first time in my blogging life, I took a week off. You may have noticed. You may not have. But, either way it's true. It's been an entire week since my last post. I didn't do it intentionally. Last Tuesday I didn't have anything lined up for this space and I had a super busy day at work, so before I knew it, the day had passed and I hadn't visited the Blogger website a single time. When I realized it, I had a pang of guilt, knowing that those of you who pop by on a daily basis wouldn't have anything to read. Then the next day it happened again, and the rest of the week carried on that way.

I know I've said this what seems like a million times in the last two months, but I'm worn out. I'm working hard from 8:30 to 5:30 every day. Actually, that's an understatement. Half the week I'm working from 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 or 8:30 p.m. And with a life like that, I don't have much time to do fun things, which means I have less to talk about here and I have even less photos to show all of you. To be honest, because of my lack of free time, it's been a bittersweet transition back into office life. I'm excited to be at the helm of a really rad paper that I'm super proud of, and I love that each week I end up with a tangible product that I can hold and admire. But, I really miss having energy to do things in the evening. I miss checking in with all of you to see what's happening in your worlds and I miss the dialogue I used to have in this space. The truth is, though, with my schedule, I can't commit to blogging five days a week anymore. In fact, I can't even commit to reading my favourite blogs anymore. I don't have the brainpower or the will to do it. I tried keeping up and then I found myself feeling guilty because the content I was producing wasn't the same quality as it was before, nor were my comments on your blogs—when I was still making them. My heart isn't in it.

Now although this might sound like a goodbye, I don't intend it to be that way. I think it's more of an opportunity to explain where I'm coming from as I embark on a new posting schedule. Right now I need to blog when the time is right for me. Maybe that means committing to What to Wear and Ladies of the Mountains and a few posts in between when I have the content, the time and the enthusiasm to write them. I just don't want to waste this space on filler and I don't want to waste your time on filler either. I appreciate all of you too much for that, and I ask that you bare with me as I figure out how to make this space work with my crazy, hectic schedule.

Sorry for the unannounced hiatus last week. Please know that it left me feeling ever-so-slightly refreshed and even more excited to use this space for what I intended it: content that's true to who I am.

On that note, see you all tomorrow when I share some photos from my first-ever pride parade! Let me just say it was amazing and leave it at that.

Has life ever gotten so crazy that you had to take a step back from your blog?

7 comments:

  1. I noticed, and I'm glad to report my assumptions about your absence were spot on. I definitely know what it's like for life to be crazy enough to want to step back--I've been fantasizing about putting my blog on hold lately, which is a pretty indicative sign! Take all the time you need--you're in my reader, so when you pop in on occassion I'll see it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also noticed, but I knew you were busy with your new job. Honestly, I don't know how people with ANY full time job find time to blog! ...So whatever you post and whenever you do it will be impressive to me. :) You're in my reader, so you'll pop up when you hit publish. As long as you're happy, that's all that matters...but I know finding the balance is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed too- and I feel you. I work usually 50+ hours a week, then still need find time for my business, and oh, every Saturday from now until November is booked with the farmer's market..oh and yeah..i somehow just got roped into roller derby (unfortunately not as a player because of my knees - but as an official) it's like my head is going to explode - I've been trying my hardest to keep up with blogging and reading posts..but some days its just exhausting.. no one will ever fault you for anything you decide to do. anything you share with us all is always an awesome treat to read and see. so while i'll miss your frequent postings.. live your life and be happy with your career and friends .. we'll all still be here when you see fit =)

    xx
    trisha
    veranellies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absence makes the heart grow fonder buddy.. so while we miss ya.. we're not so lame at to forget you, cuz you're awesome sauce. So take the time - get in a healthy happy headspace for YOU before worrying about 'us'... and we'll be all the more happy to see you whenever you pop in!
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't notice. I was in Mexico, taking a break from it all. And it felt really great. Really really great. Whatever you decide for this blog, I will always reach out and harass you by other forms of modern technology. Don't you worry.

    TEN MORE DAYS!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The same thing happens to me.. It seems like I don't have a days worth of stuff on my blog and make a week long thing when I just don't have my heart in it.
    I'm glad you're not filling this blog up with fluff because I love to hear your thoughts and insights! Take your time and come back whenever you have some time for you. That transition to a more than full time job is always hard. Don't stretch yourself thin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ALL. THE. TIME! I even go as far as to fill a calendar full of post-it notes of possible blog schedules and on what days I'll make crafts or take photos. And of course, it never gets done. By the time I get home, I'm so exhausted. The perfect lighting conditions to take photos has passed and my husband is ready for dinner. So I find it very hard to blog full-time with a full-time job. Instead, I've been saving using all this free time to get some other stuff completed. Hopefully one day soon I'll be able to start blogging again. :)

    ReplyDelete