Friday, June 28, 2013

Glampin' it up in Jasper

For the first time in my life, I went glamping this week. What's glamping, you ask? It's camping for high maintenance folk who don't like to get their hands dirty. Actually, according to Urban Dictionary, it's glamorous camping (as if you couldn't figure that out on your own) or luxury camping. My glamping experience was in a tent-style cabin at Whistlers Campground just outside of town. Now, if it wasn't for an assignment, I'd be slightly ashamed. I'm not one of those girls who needs a lot of frills. In fact, I'm more of a get down and dirty kind of camper, so I'm not used to showing up at a campground with everything set up and awaiting my arrival. I literally did nothing. There was no pitching a tent and I barely even had to set up my bed. Basically I just took out my sleeping bag and pillow and voila, I was done!

I was admittedly shocked when I opened the door and saw all the space I had for just me. Oh yeah, did I mention I went solo? I guess not. At first I invited a couple of girlfriends, but they had to work, so then I decided, 'What the heck? I could totally use an evening to myself.' So after work I drove out to the campground with all of my gear in the back of the car and I spent the evening chillaxing in my own company.


Of course, I first brought out the tripod and camera for some photos. Then I went for a walk around the campground before making a fire and reading my book for the rest of the evening. It was honestly exactly what I needed to reset my batteries.

So remember how I said I would have been ashamed had my stay in this luxurious cabin not been for work. Well, that shame eventually wore off. On most days, I wouldn't trade a cabin for pitching a tent, but staying in Parks Canada's oTENTik (that's the official name!) was a nice way of winding down for an evening. I honestly went to work on Wednesday feeling incredibly refreshed.

Check out the bench I built. I'm the best!

So, all in all, glamping's not so bad. I know there's a lot of haters out there. But I honestly believe these cabins provide a service that tents can't. They allow people who otherwise don't have any wilderness skills to experience it safely, and they also allow foreigners who don't want to pack all of their camping gear for an overseas journey to still spend time in nature, rather than booking a hotel or an RV. So I guess you could call me a convert.

Have you ever been glamping?

11 comments:

  1. I don't know if it's technically glamping, but there's a sort of hotel called The Snooty Fox here in southwest Michigan that's right off a (small/rural) highway that has different cabins. They're all basically just bunks and a fridge, there's a kitchen and separate bathrooms for each cabin in the office building. It's super cool! So sort of glamping! xx

    Allie @ callmesassafras.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cabins at a camp ground always seem so out of place and wrong to me. Haha. Neat looking thing, though! I'd definitely be game for it if the opportunity came up, but wouldn't call it camping. No tent = no camping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We stayed in a yurt in Whistler last summer, and as much as I love tent camping it was a lot easier then packing all of our stuff and hauling it when we didn't have the room. Normally though I'm all about pitching a tent! Looking forward to doing that this weekend :) ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no glamping shame, I just am not a natural camper. I need a proper shower and all that. Haha. AND I can't put up a tent to save my life (despite having been a girl guide). HAHA, I think this looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this would be the best way to ease me into camping - im not high maintenance (no makeup or doing of the hair here) either, but i do need to shower every day and am not "a happy camper" (pun intended) if i don't get one because i just feel icky.

    xx
    trisha
    veranellies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even know Whistlers had this! Haha I love it. I grew up camping in a Tent Trailer and Paul will NOT allow us to ever camp in a trailer he thinks its too glamourous. Either you camp in a tent, or it's not really camping he says.

    Summer x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I love cabins, so rustic to me, so I would have loved this. Of course I love tent camping as well. That really does sound so nice, a camp out solo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glamping would really suit me... Not that I am all that glamurous, but I am terrified with insects and a tent is not very safe in my opinion. This would be a valid option!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to try glamping. Maybe for just a quick weekend trip, a couple days so I didn't have to pack up all my stuff. That looks like a nice place to say. Very peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just wondering how you booked your stay here? I'm over in Calgary and I've been looking for something one step comfier than tenting. Can you book online at all? Or is there a website to check out the facilities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaley,

      You can book through Parks Canada: 1-877-RESERVE (737-3783).
      http://www.pc.gc.ca/voyage-travel/hebergement-accommodation/otentik.aspx

      I hope that helps!

      Delete