Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Photo essay: how to get mauled by a bear

Step 1: Ignore all warnings posted on the highway.

Step 2: Park in the middle of the road, rather than pulling off to the side. (Oh wait, that's how you get mauled by an angry Nicole.)

Step 3: Get out of your vehicle.

Step 4: Ignore a nice local (me) when they suggest you get back in your car.

Step 5: Approach the bear.

Step 6: Put nothing between you and a mother who's feeding with her cub.

Step 7: Get even closer for that perfect shot.

Step 8: Turn your back on the animal and tell your kids to get out of the car and check out the fun "toy" eating dandelions.

Step 9: Congratulations, you have successfully become bear food.


I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing tourists act this way. They are so oblivious to the danger they're placing themselves in and the nuisance they are creating for the animals they see. There are so many signs and brochures around the park explaining how to respectfully observe animals. It's inexcusable that people act this way. I don't care what country you're from, you should know better. If you're going to visit a Canadian national park, you should at least do some research to ensure you know how to respect wildlife and nature while you're here. Can you imagine what would happen if someone actually got mauled? It would likely result in the death of that animal.


So in the future, if you want to view wildlife in Jasper, please stay in your vehicle or do it like this guy—pull over to the side of the road, put a vehicle between you and the animal, silently take a few photos and then move along—because the last thing I want to do is get called out to the scene of a mauling. Can you imagine taking photos of that for the paper? Ick!

Don't forget to check out the not too 'shabby' giveaway.
There's a $50 Shabby Apple gift card up for grabs. 

13 comments:

  1. Natural selection at it's finest.

    I don't even understand what research needs to be involved, to me it's common sense not to approach a dangerous wild animal.

    Excuse me while I go pet this sleeping lion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I hate when people behave that way as well! When we're driving through we usually just slow down a little and say ooh, look, that's cool! Before continuing on. Silly people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me laugh. Tourists must be everywhere there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What?! People are completely nuts.. They think that these bears are like the ones they see at the zoos. How ridiculous. The worst part is that they never take responsibility when something goes wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahahhahahha. My favourite is when people do this to take a picture of elk. ELK. ELLLLLLKKKKKKKKKKK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you kidding me?! I see a bear and I haul ass! I wouldn't stop to admire it and see if it's hungry, haha. Great post, Nicole. Always a huge fan of your blog. :)

    xo, Adriana.
    Horses of Ares

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just outrageous! Those poor animals (especially the mamas with cubs). When I was in Montana last summer it was incredible to me the absolute disregard for safety, both for the bright ones taking photos and the animals themselves. There were a few bear sightings that led to a huge backup on the roads but it was the bison that blew me away... People were trying to get SO close to these beautiful beasts but not taking into consideration the danger involved! Horrifying to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. girl, we've got the same problems here in yellowstone.
    my anxiety level goes through the roof with tourists!
    such a love/hate relationship with them....
    still, one manages to get attacked by a buffalo every. single. year.

    xo The Egg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gah, I can only imagine what this can be like. I would never be that dumb!

    Melissa
    http://wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tell them about how those same people have a blatant disregard for their own safety in regards to the fact that they are STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF A ROAD AND WANDERING IN FRONT OF ONCOMING TRAFFIC. So they aren't just stupid about bears. They are apparently just stupid in general.

    My anxiety level went through the roof because I was the one driving though these idiots. It's a good thing my roof had a hole in it. Wink.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I worked in BC I loved the people who would leave their dogs off-leash on trails and wonder why we'd chastise them. Your dog is gonna run off, the bear is going to eat it, and then the bear is going to eat you.

    Second on my list of favourites were the ones that would get closer and closer and closer to an angry bighorn sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my, I was scrolling through your post with just one thought it my head: "I hope there are no pictures of that guy being eaten by a bear!" The tourists are... I just have now words sometimes!!

    ReplyDelete