Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Kitchen confessional

Ladies and gents, I have a confession. *deep breath* I can't bake cookies. Honestly, I can't. I tried again last night (after many failures in the past) and yet again, even with a brand new recipe and my handmade apron on, I bungled it all up. The above cookies are the result. They don't look so bad, right? Kind of weird, because of the Corn Flakes, but not unappetizing.Well, if you only knew what they were supposed to look like, you'd be saying, "Eeep. There's an epic fail right there!" You see, these cookies were meant to be flat and moist rather than plump and crumbly. Yup. We can chalk these ranger cookies up to another of Nicole's many failed attempts in the kitchen.

The sad thing is, I already know what I did wrong and I also know that in most cases it's the same thing I always do wrong—I melted the butter. Last time I baked cookies, I attempted "the worlds easiest sugar cookies." I figured, if "the worlds easiest" was in the name, I could totally take them on. So I went to town, only to come out with crumbly dough and rock hard, dry cookies. After reading ALL of the comments beneath the recipe, I found out my problem. Apparently the consistency of butter is really important when you're baking cookies. (Who knew!?) So when it says softened, it means softened, not put a cup of butter in the microwave until its liquified. Despite this new found knowledge, last night I yet again melted the butter and I yet again came out with crumbly, hard cookies. The thing is, I never plan to bake, so I never take the butter out of my fridge ahead of time. So, rather than taking it out and waiting hours for the butter to soften, I throw it right in the ol' microwave and conveniently forget about it until the beeping starts... and then I end up with sad, pathetic, good for nothing but breaking teeth cookies. You'd think I'd learn.
Are you a patient baker?

13 comments:

  1. Lol.. They look good though! I started baking way before I started cooking. Honestly, I'd much rather cook these days. You can't really mess up cooking but baking is so precise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing about my baking until I was talking about my diasters in the kitchen with my niece. It turned out with mixing the ingrediants by hand we were not doing it long enough. Now everything get thrown into a blender, whizzed around and put in to which ever container we fancy... it worked but I now wonder why I never did it earlier as its much cleaner except for the part where you have to wash up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY TIPS FOR BEING IMPATIENT WITH BUTTER: I buy the cheapo box of butter sticks. They usually come 4 in a box. I find that because I live in Texas I don't even need to let it sit out that long before it's fine. And in my experience, it doesn't really need to be room temp anyway when it's cookies. You just want to make sure it's sweating a bit.

    If it helps, try warning the butter up by holding it (still wrapped in it's paper) in your hands for a minute to warm it up. Or maybe place a mildly warm towel over it. Anything that gets that chill off the butter should do the trick. I also like to cut it up into smaller pieces as I'm working it into the batter. And then use my hands to mix it into the dry ingredients. At first it'll look all crumbly but in a matter of seconds it will start turning into cookie dough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge bake from scratch baker, but I do love to bake from the box lol

    The hand warming technique that the other Stephanie mentioned is a good idea. What I do sometimes is put the butter in a dish and microwave it for like 7 seconds. If there is any liquid, I pour it out and then use a fork and start stirring the rest of it so it's all one and not separated.

    Hope that helps! Those cookies do look good by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, that's funny! I'm awful at cooking too, don't worry! Good think my boyfriend loves to cook or I'd be living off carrots and crackers. xx

    Allie @ callmesassafras.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll add my two cents because I'm definitely a baker and not a cook. I LOVE baking (you know this). Butter - if you forget to take it out so it's room temp, this is what i do. Keep paper on the stick, place in microwave 5-10 seconds. (depending on your microwave strength) It will warm it just enough that its not melted and perfect consistency for baking cookies. I actually do have a recipe for cookies that does call for melted butter- maybe I should give you that one haha ;P

    good luck in you baking adventures!!

    xx
    trisha
    veranellies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, maybe no-bakes are your thing? ;) nomnom...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm also pretty awful at baking. It's just so much work and such a mess! Plus I don't have the patience for butter either, and totally didn't know that was why my cookies are always more like rocks. Learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am notoriously bad at using room temperature butter as well, so I've forced myself to start keeping one block of butter out for when I want to bake. Or, if I know I want to bake that day, I'll take the butter out first thing when I wake up :-) It's brutal how much of a difference it makes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ummmm... I've always why my cookies are never amazing too and I'm a total butter liquifier! Holy crap- you just solved my baking mysteries. But that means PLANNING way in advance, eek. My favorite cookies in the whole world are made by my mom's BFF and they have cornflakes in them. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh. I am the same way with brownies and cupcakes. Can't do it. I once made cupcakes with a girl I was nannying, and I felt so bad because when they were done they looked like rocks. It was awful. (I didn't know the difference between flour and self-rising flour). I don't know what I do wrong with brownies, but it's always a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy!
    www.adoramehitabel.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete