Tuesday, July 16, 2013

On finding happiness


Yesterday I worked a 14-hour day. Usually after such a grueling shift, I'd go home, sit on the couch and pout a bit. I'd accept defeat and then head off to bed, so that I could do it all over again the following day. But, yesterday was a little different. Ian texted me at 10 p.m., suggesting that I meet him and some friends at a local pub for some live music and beers. So, once I wrapped up my story, I took him up on the offer and ended up having an awesome evening. I wasn't even tired or grumpy when I got there. I was just happy to have finished work and to have the opportunity to enjoy some tunes and the company of my pals.

Finding happiness can be a mental battle, but sometimes all it takes is a change in perspective. I could have complained about my long day once I got to the pub, but instead I just said, 'It's been a long one, I think I deserve a beer!' and took things from there. I'm trying my best to be more like that. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the negatives and to let them pull you down into a deep pit of unhappiness. What's more difficult is choosing to brush those negatives off, so that you can embrace the positives.

In an attempt to focus on the positives in my life, a couple weeks ago I started listing all of the great things that happened during my day. I have a notebook next to my bed and each night I think of between five and 10 things to write. Now that I'm in the habit, it's getting easier and easier to remember the good and forget the bad. I chalk that up to a win for happiness!

How do you stay positive?

6 comments:

  1. Staying positive is definitely a mental battle. When I realize that I am losing that battle, I talk to people who put things into perspective for me. Like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this and find myself doing the same on both accounts. I've been telling myself lately that I need to accept a change in my day, that my day won't go exactly as planned, because when it goes wary I get upset!

    Thanks for the inspirational post xo

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should definitely steal your idea of keeping a daily notebook full of positives. I fall into the "defeated" at least a couple days a week, and it's sucking the life out of me. This sounds like a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of the five positive things for that day. The notebook idea is genius! I always let myself sulk for maybe 10 minutes and then move on with my day. That little bit of time placates me and reminds me that there's so many other things to be thankful for. :) You totes deserved that beer BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the notebook idea - that's just got to be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to think of myself as a positive person...most of the time. If I feel my brows furrowing and my cranky coming on, I smile. That's it. And whatever chemicals in my brain responsible for that kind of thing take over and I feel the good vibes rushing through. It helps to recognize that you're feeling crappy, take a minute to accept it, then move on. No wallowing! And if it helps to send off a f-bomb laden email to your buddy just to get things out of your brain, I'm always here! HA! xoxo

    ReplyDelete