Friday, July 19, 2013

Play nice, folks


I've been seeing other bloggers get hate mail or hateful comments on their posts lately and it's pretty well sent me up the wall and around the room with fury. I can understand some friendly debate when a blogger writes about something controversial, but seeing people torn down for their weight, style or appearance in general is just disgusting. I really can't imagine how some of the "big time bloggers" handle such outright disrespect.

I have such a love/hate relationship with the internet because of just that. I love the community I've built here on my blog and I love the opportunity to hear opposing views—I even made a close pal because we disagreed and then took the time to hash it out. I just think that people need to have a little more tact and respect when they do have an opposing view. I also think people need to remember what their mothers told them: "If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all." This is especially true when judging bloggers by their appearances. It's brave what a lot of us do everyday, putting our outfits, our faces, our bodies, our thoughts, ideas and personalities out into the world. People sometimes say, "Well, you put yourself out there, so you open yourself to judgement." But if you ask me, just putting yourself out there doesn't give ANYONE the right to cut me down. If you don't like my outfit, my hair, my weight, my views, that's fine. But it doesn't mean you can rip me a new one.

I know the people who do such things are just taking out their own insecurities, but that doesn't mean those comments aren't hurtful. So please, ladies and gents, play nice, comment respectfully and remember that bloggers are real people hiding behind a computer screen. We have feeling too, ya hear?


Have you ever received hate mail? Or have you been seeing it around the web lately?

5 comments:

  1. I feel like I've been noticing the hate more and more too, not sure why though. It makes me pretty sad because I have a feeling a lot of these mean things wouldn't be said if the people were face to face, I hate that the internet can be used this way. Thankfully I haven't received any really because I have a feeling I would be the worst at handling it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy! No hate mail for me...you have to actually have people reading and commenting on your blog for that! I notice it more on Facebook, which is why I never go on there anymore.

    I hope you're not getting any hate mail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed it also... It seems like there are some people out there that get off on being rude. Almost like their computer screen is their shield so they really could care less if their words sting.

    On my blog's first post, I stated that negativity won't be tolerated on my blog and so far (3 weeks) nothing negative has been posted, but I also monitor my comments.

    I just don't understand why people are so hateful. It really just makes my stomach turn... That's why I keep away from reading twitter comments that people make on the people I follow's profiles. If it was me, the person would be blocked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get loads of hilarious SPAM. no hate mail yet... But yeah, hurt people hurt people, and dumb folk say dumb things. I hate seeing it, but haven't blog surfed tons this summer to notice any increase. Guess that's why some have filters though.
    Only LOVE mail for you, you're a big load of sweetness!
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really makes no sense when people are nasty over the internet. I've gotten into my fair share of debates but man, some people can be vicious with almost no provocation.
    I think that some people get upset when they see others celebrating themselves or finding worth in what they do. It's sad and it's them who suffer, in the end.
    Keep your head up, lovely!
    <3

    ReplyDelete