Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Being an introvert: with solitude comes great ideas



I had intended to post something totally different today, but then my girlfriend sent me this video. Once I watched it, I just knew I had to share it, because there's no way I'm the only one who carries a book or a notebook with me at (nearly) all times, and I know for sure that I'm not only blogger who has a pretty thick streak of introversion running right through me. In fact, I'd guess that about 70 per cent of bloggers, if not more, are introverts. I'd say, we're introverts with a small streak of extroversion. I mean, we do, after all, share our lives pretty openly on the internet. That takes a certain level of extroversion, if you ask me.

But, back to introversion...

After watching this video, I realized this week alone I have apologized more than once for needing a break—just a few moments for myself. You see, if I'm being honest, I'd tell you that I find socializing a wee bit exhausting. Don't get me wrong, I love chillin' with my friends and going out on adventures and chattin' it up with strangers (occasionally). But, after doing all of those things and doing them for days on end, I need some me time. I need to recharge with a good book or a journal entry or a craft project or a solo walk in the woods. I need to let my brain rest. I need to turn off the endless stimulation and just think for myself. Sometimes I feel guilty for taking the time to do such things. But this video reminded me of the importance of self reflection and autonomous thought, and it reminded me that we are all different and we need to embrace those differences and harness the power that comes with them. For me, that means taking a night off, reading a book and drinking a cup of tea while the world continues to spin around me. Who cares if I missed that awesome band, I'll catch the next one. In the meantime, I gave my brain a breather—an opportunity to formulate creative ideas of its own. Now that's magic!

Are you an introvert?

6 comments:

  1. My job right now — freelancing — pretty much means I'm by myself a lot, but I am by no means an introvert! Sometimes I want to be left alone, but most of the time I'm happy to be out with people, talking all the time. So sometimes I need an extra outlet for it. That's where the blog comes in handy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would classify myself as an introvert. I'm not really good at expressing myself and it takes me awhile to come up with responses when people ask questions. I used to be ashamed of this but more recently have accepted that sometimes I need to take a few hours just for myself to re-energize and gather my thoughts. I'm currently reading the book Quiet by Susan Cain and it has provided an interesting insight into the world as an introvert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely with you on being an introvert. Sometimes even after just one day of constant stimulation I get so exhausted that I hermit for a week. There have been a lot of times where I wished I was an extrovert instead, specifically when I've been passed up for employment just cause I don't speak much, but MEH. Might look strange to some, but I enjoy my silence and solitude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so awesome! Yes, I absolutely identify as an introvert. I prefer to listen, absorb, and take information home so I can process it independently. I get very overwhelmed in group discussions because I'm listening and thinking, that any time I get "called upon" to submit feedback, I am taken off-guard and don't have much to offer. Often that's taken as I'm not paying attention or that I'm not invested in the discussion, but really it's absolutely the latter.

    Parties, concerts, festivals, they make me panicky. I can get through them okay (I don't get panic attacks or anything), but I need a long break once I'm done to come back to "center." One of my favorite words is "decompress," because I use and practice it so frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am an introvert through and through. Being social has always seem super exhausting to me, which is why I love spending time alone. I love visiting with family and friends, but I cherish my alone time. Having a blog gives me a place to let myself out there to interact with people without the social awkwardness that is "Me".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very much an introvert, I definitely need quiet alone time,especially after hanging out with people for any great length of time

    ReplyDelete