Monday, August 12, 2013

Hand-me-down dress



Last month, while my girlfriend was packing up her life for a month of festival hopping, she came across this dress in her closet, and the next thing I knew, she was at my work dropping it off, saying something along the lines of "This dress is perfect for you. You have to have it."

Never one to turn down worn in duds, especially ones that come from a pal with great taste, I took this baby home and wore it the very next day, and immediately it's become one of my favourites. There really is nothing better than hand me downs from someone who knows your style and your size... and who just happens to have a similar style and size. For me, this dress is so much more than a piece of clothing, it's a piece of Lisa. It's something I can pull out of my closet and wear when I'm missing her beautiful little face and it's something I can wear confidently, knowing that she hand selected it for me.

I remember all my girlfriends with older sisters used to complain when they were forced to wear hand me downs. I don't think I ever complained. There is something so special about wearing another person's clothes. It's like you get to take all of their experiences with you on your own journeys.


What are your thoughts on hand me downs?

8 comments:

  1. Cute dress! I hated hand-me-downs as a kid, but now my sister works in fashion and I love it when she gives me clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to loooove hand-me-downs. I didn't get much cause I'm the oldest, but every now and then my aunt would bring over a big black garbage bag or two full of my cousin's old things. I always found digging through those bags a lot of fun, and would go through them several times over a few months. Tastes always change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoever this other Lisa is, she sounds lovely! I always liked hand-me-downs, but I was the oldest girl in the family so I didn't get too many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! She was totally right, that dress has to belong to you! I got a lot of hand-me-downs as a kid, but unfortunately all of the older kids in my family were guys, so I definitely had quite the collection of knee-length shorts and t-shirts.

    Some things never change.

    ... Except I don't own knee-length shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that dress! You styled it so nice, as well.

    Hand me downs can be great (hello thrifting!) but my sister only gave us clothes she didn't like anymore...which none of us liked! She kept the nice looking clothes, haha!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the hand me down is that dress, I'm in! Seriously, I am a fan of thrifted clothing. Many times we get fed up of clothes before they are worn out, why not breathe new life into them! Looks gorgeous with that cardigan too!

    Just popping over from the Passion for Fashion link up! (: A little late!
    Donna xx
    www.polkadot-pink.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree... hand me downs (especially cute ones like this!) are awesome! It really does look great on you! Thank you for linking up for Passion For Fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness you are such a cutie, this dress is perfect on you! love it paired with the cardi .thanks so much for joining up with passion for fashion (number 40 yay) hope you'll join us again tomorrow! xx

    ReplyDelete