Thursday, August 22, 2013

What to Wear: to a music festival

This is my terrible attempt at looking natural while dancing to the sound of Ian saying, "Ughhh... Do it better!"
By the end of the summer, I will have been to three festivals! My last one will be right here in Jasper next month. Jasper hasn't had it's own festival in six years, so it's super exciting that in a few short weeks it will be resurrected. I absolutely love the idea of spending an entire day dancing, singing, laughing and hanging out just a block away from my home. The end of the night is going to be so sweet. I won't have to drive an hour, I won't have to stagger back to my campsite, all I have to do is make the short walk home and crawl into my warm, cushy bed. How great does that sound!?

When I dress for a festival, I usually pick an outfit that will move with me all day. Something that's super comfortable, yet also cute. I wore this exact outfit (minus the hat, which I just bought at the Robson Valley Music Festival last weekend) to the Wild Mountain Music Festival in Hinton last month, and it did the trick. The hat, though, is an amazing addition to my festival garb. I am in mad love with felted anything, so this little gem had to come home with me last weekend.

Another awesome part of my getup is my fanny pack. I used to be a hater, but while I was putting this outfit together last month, I realized a fanny pack was the perfect addition to a festival outfit. By wearing one, I didn't have to worry about a purse, my wallet or cellphone. I just tuck my money and phone into my hip purse and off I went. I didn't even notice it while I was dancing!


Also, notice the glasses? They're my new ones from Firmoo. So far, of the three pairs I bought, these ones are my favourites. I love that they're blue instead of black and I'm just now getting used to the shape on my face. It's funny how you can get so used to seeing yourself in one pair and then as soon as you switch it up your brain takes some adjusting to get used to the new look.

Top to bottom:
Hat: Festival
Glasses: Firmoo
Shirt: Bluenotes
Shorts: Warehouse One
Fanny pack: Gift from my beautiful sister
Shoes: Shoe Warehouse

Another important thing to note about festival outfits, at least around these parts, is that you never know what the weather is going to do. So be sure to have a beach bag or backpack full of layers and rain gear. I learned my lesson the hard way in Hinton and ended up wet and cold for a better part of the evening. I was much wiser last weekend and had my raincoat, pants, warm socks and even my rubber boots along for the ride, and, I'll have you know, I used each and every item.

Would you like to join us in showing off your own festival wear? Why not link up with your best festival outfit? If you can't make it this go-round, you can always link up in two weeks time when we show off What to Wear: to a baby shower.


What's your go-to outfit for a music festival?

12 comments:

  1. I know it's childish but I cant help but giggle when I see "Fanny Pack"! In the UK, fanny is another word for lady bits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First things first, I love your fanny pack and your "fanny pack". Oh Elyse...this is too awesome!!

    Second, way to go Ian for getting in on the action! That is Ian's handiwork on the guitar, right?!

    Third, love the new glasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually Mishelle's hand. Ian was manning the camera. That's right, I had to get an assistant to come along for this shot! So hardcore.

      Also, that was my attempt at natural dancing, without music. Yeah... I made that look good. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love fanny packs.they are so much better when your busy and dont want to worry about your stuff. Cute outfit! =}

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't mean to drop the ball today- I had intentions and then no time for photos until it was too dark. Wahhh. But, also I have FAILED at dressing for every music festival I have ever been too so I probably shouldn't be giving advice on that anyways ;) Love your new glasses and if I ever go to another music festival I will be referencing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I already commented, but I just have to say I can't believe there were only 3 of us this week for the link up! It's kinda sad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree that fanny packs are essential to wear to music festivals! I have two ridiculous ones from the 90s that my dad used to use and they work great. I take them a lot when I go hiking too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fanny pack is great!! And that hat suits you perfectly... I love it! Thanks for linking up for Passion For Fashion. I wish I had a festival look to link up with you! lol
    Pinning this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this pretty vest top, the detailing is great!Thanks for joining passion for fashion last week, hope you'll join us again today! :)xx

    ReplyDelete