Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Conquering fears and singing songs

Source
I know I've talked about this on the blog before, but I'm feeling way too good not to do it again. You see, this weekend, I hopped in the car (Waldo, as we lovingly call him) and I drove seven hours all by myself. That, my friends, is the longest haul I have ever driven all by my lonesome. That's not to say with no one else in the car. That is to say, that is the longest I have spent behind the wheel in one stretch. And not only did I manage that feat on the way to meet my new nephew (note: he is precious and his name is Evander), on the way back on Sunday, I spent three of those hours driving in the dark on windy mountain roads. For me, this is a huge accomplishment. Here's why: A) I have only ever driven on a highway at night once in my life. B) I had never driven that many hours in one stretch before. C) I have only been driving for three years. D) I prefer to be the stereo master and food-hander-over on all road trips.

What I learned on my adventure, though, is that there is an upside to driving alone: when Marky Mark comes on the stereo singing about Good Vibrations, you get to sing along as loud as you like without judgement. If that's not reason enough to head out on a solo road trip, I don't know what is.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! I didn't get my licence until not so long ago either. Road trips always reduce me to a bundle of nerves. Seven hours is quite an accomplishment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! 1) So proud of you. 2) Alone in the car with my tunes = my happy place. It is the greatest feeling, ESPECIALLY when you get to drive through awesome scenery. Did you take the Coquihalla? If so, doubly impressed. Hope you didn't run into an graupel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing in the world beats driving down a highway at night, windows down, blaring your favorite songs and singing at the top of your lungs. It's been way too long since I've done it!

    ReplyDelete