Monday, January 13, 2014

An "only in Jasper" moment


While driving to Maligne Lake over the holidays, my friend Kevin and I came upon this scene. There were two cars on the road, each going in opposite directions and each was parked in the middle of their respective lanes, making it impossible to pass. As we came upon them, we weren't sure what was causing the hold up, but—considering we were in Jasper—we figured it was wildlife of one kind or another. What we didn't expect, though, was to find the cars were stopped because bighorn sheep were busy licking them, so they couldn't move along.

Sheep usually use natural salt licks to replenish mineral deficiencies, so, in a way it's no shock that, at the first opportunity, the sheep stepped in the way of moving traffic to lick the highway salt off the vehicles, but I can honestly say this was the first time I had ever encountered such an event. Beyond the ram pictured above, there were at least a dozen more huddled around another vehicle on the road. It was quite the sight. One that is truly unique to the Jasper experience. It's moments like this one that remind me why I live in this weird little place.

Have you had any interesting wildlife encounters lately?

9 comments:

  1. haha I have seen that before! Can't remember whether it was in Jasper or Banff or Canmore though. I remember a whole herd roaming through a parking lot cleaning everyone's cars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I have seen that before! Can't remember whether it was in Jasper or Banff or Canmore though. I remember a whole herd roaming through a parking lot cleaning everyone's cars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so neat! And one of my favourite/most missed things about that area. Last time I was in Banff, we were stopped for about a half hour for deer to just meander about slowly among the cars. Naturrre! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's crazy! Cool to see them so close though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so insane! Fun little story: a couple months ago, I'm sitting on my deck enjoying some coffee and Jordan's there and we're talking about I don't know what. Suddenly, a MASSIVE HAWK flies by, lands on the rail of our deck, looks at me for a good 10 seconds RIGHT IN THE EYEBALLS and then bolts.

    Our apartment may be surrounded by trees, but it is still definitely very much in a city, and I'd never seen hawks anywhere near here. It blew my mind.

    I was totally frozen, and once the guy flew off, I asked Jordan "That actually happened, right? You saw that?" Just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. So incredible and beautiful and crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT IS CRAZY!! I would have been terrified! They are scary birds.

      Delete
  6. That's amazing. You got a really good photo of the moment too! The traffic must have to be so careful in Jaspar with the wildlife just hurrying up to cars for a snack!

    ReplyDelete