Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Dancing queens


I seem to live a drag-filled life. Since moving to Jasper, I have been to at least a handful of drag shows. In fact, I might go so far as saying I've been to closer to 10. I guess that's happens when you become pals with one of the queens... and when you realize that the best parties in town generally include sequins, thick make up, singing and dancing and a few Cher tunes. This latest show was part of the kick-off weekend for Jasper in January, a two-week-long festival that just happens to be celebrating its 25th year. The Loud and Proud party, as it's called, is in its third year and, as with the first two, it didn't disappoint. The bar was packed. People were excited. The queens were not only gorgeous divas, they were also hilarious... as you can see from this next photo.



Let's just say these ladies didn't start the song sporting their short hair and bras. No, they tore the wigs of each others heads and even got down into a rough and tumble brawl as they lip synced Reba McEntire's "Does He Love You." That was without a doubt the most entertaining act of the evening!

Oh yeah, and then there was the limbo competition. That was pretty fun, too. Although, likely  not as entertaining as the twerk-off. Now that was funny!



How's your January going?

Side note: Out of all the events and activities I've taken part in since the beginning of the month, this was the hardest one to attend without drinking. Everyone in the bar was riding a beer high, and when the show ended, I suddenly become incredibly aware of just how sober I was and just how drunk everyone else was. So, rather than struggling through the night, sucking back my go-to cranberry soda, I decided to hit the road once the queens left the stage. I figure, if I'm going to integrate this no-drinking thing into my life, I might as well just take myself out of situations where I really want a beer. And, really, I didn't miss much or lose out by doing that. I was there for the show. I had a great time, took some fun photos and I managed to read a few chapters of my book before hitting the hay. All in all, it wasn't a bad night. Oh! And I wasn't hungover in the morning, so win-win-win!

4 comments:

  1. I still have never been to a drag show and want to go so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome! And so beautifully colourful. Having someone with rainbow hair there obviously helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! This looks like a total blast. Nicely done on keeping up with your no drinking resolution!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete

  4. Oh this looks like so much fun. I totally get the no drinking thing and removing yourself from the situation. I've avoided some outings for the very same reason.

    ReplyDelete