Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Drink-free January



On Dec. 31, I made a resolution. The challenge I've given myself isn't for the whole year, but for the month of January. Beginning on Jan. 1, after our new year's celebrations came to a close, I stopped consuming alcohol.  

My intention is to stay booze-free for 30 days.

Now, although this might suggest I have a problem with alcohol, I would argue that's not the case. I have just come to realize that drinking is considered an extracurricular activity in Jasper. You see, I live in a tourist town full of young people, who move here for four months or a year with the intention of partying and skiing their days away, and it seems that partying mentality has managed to infiltrate my life. I find myself drinking more than a few drinks at least once on the weekend and at least once during the week.

After doing a mental tally of how much money I've spent in bars the last few years, I decided it was time to make a change. Of course, though, it's not just the money either. It's the time that I seem to be wasting. In some cases, I'm wasting that evening and, in most cases, I'm wasting the entire next day of my life—goodness knows, as I get older, my hangovers linger longer and longer.

So, here I am, a week into this sober month and so far the most difficult day was my first adventure to the bar with my pals. At the outset of this challenge, I decided I would live life as normally as possible. This goal isn't meant to be a sentence of house arrest. Rather, it's an attempt to live my regular life with a sober mind and full wallet. Last weekend, while sitting in our usual bar, I drank soda water while watching my friends down pitcher after pitcher. I was surprised how hard that was, just sitting there, watching.

There is so much peer pressure involved with drinking and such an assumption that everyone will partake. In fact, I had to stop my waitress from walking away, just so I could order my own beverage, rather than an extra pint glass to go along with the first pitcher. Since that night, the challenge has become easier and easier and it has also been a bit of an eye opener. I realize now, as I choose to drink water or soda water over beer, just how often I would reach for a pint at a bar or a bottle out of the fridge. I'm conscious of it in a way I have never been before. I think that lesson alone has been worth this little challenge of mine.

Ultimately, I know I'll reenter the world of beer drinking in a month's time, but I hope that this month of sobriety will remain in the back of my mind, reminding me that I don't have to drink to have a good time, nor do I have to drink because everyone around me seems to have a full glass.

So there you have it, my one and only new year's resolution. Have you set any for yourself?

13 comments:

  1. I'm giving myself a sober January too. Christmas and new years really killed me!

    Problem is, there is a beer festival at my favourite place this weekend, and I have tickets to go.... SO, i'm going to add 2 extra days onto my sobriety to make it even. Ha.

    Chloex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm in the same boat. The reason I'm doing 30 days instead of all 31 is that there is an event on Dec. 31!

      Happy teetotaling.

      Delete
  2. I love this. I am doing a beer-free 3 weeks.... mostly with the intention of losing a couple pounds before heading to Mexico for a wedding. But when I'm back from Mexico.... a drink free month might be in order! Good luck! ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for a few pounds to magically drop from my waistline, but I'm not holding out hope! Good luck with your three weeks and have an amazing time in Mexico!

      Delete
  3. I sort of went begrudgingly booze-free in October when we found out I was pregnant. I can't believe how hard it's been! We haven't seen many of our friends and spend the vast majority of our nights at home, just because being in bars kiiiinda sucks when you can't have a drink or two (especially a loud bar). It's for a good cause and blah blah blah, but some days I'd kill for a vodka lemonade. Le sigh. I wish you luck on this goal! It's not easy but you'll save a lot in money and calories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still totally nutty to me that you have a little bean growing inside of you. If I haven't said it yet, congrats!! I bet it's even tougher for you because there are REAL repercussions to drinking. I mean, if I slip up, it doesn't REALLY matter. I don't intend to, though. I'm going to hold strong. Elise suggested making mocktails when you're in dire need of a drink. I think I'll have to try that out one of these nights. May that's a trick for you, too?!

      Delete
  4. Good luck! And like Caitlin said, you'll save yourself tons of money and calories. ;)
    Liz
    www.liz-makes.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried this last year and then my kids started yelling at each other, the washing started to pile up and after all that shovelling snow I decided a deserved a gin and tonic! He he! I found that creating fancy mocktails was a winner for days when a glass of wine was calling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of making mocktails. I totally understand your urge for a bevvy. I can definitely say there have been moments where I think, screw it, pour me a beer! I'm holding strong, though!

      Delete
  6. I think you're a crazy person.

    And yet also I totally notice this behaviour you describe when I visit you. Hope to hear positive news when you're done your month in purgatory!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've considered giving this a go too! Whenever I drink more than 2 drinks, my hangover takes over a whole day. It totally blows. So much so that I just don't go to the bar anymore because it happens every time. You are an inspiration lady!
    Trish

    ReplyDelete