Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Gift of Thrift link-up


Over the holidays, the lovely Amanda—also known as the vintage queen (at least that's how I think of her)—of Salvaged Strawberry organized a package swap with two stipulations: your gift couldn't be more than $15 and it had to be thrifted. Upon reading her initial post, of course, I was sold. BUT, she had opened the swap to US residents only. Being the whiner that I am, I promptly complained and Amanda caved and let me join the fun. The package I sent went to the super sweet and fashionable Hannah of An Old Story. I hope one of these days she'll post the contents of said package, so that you-all can see what I put together for her with my $15 budget.


Now, onto what I received! The above photos show what Erin of Babes in Thriftland sent over to me. She clearly did her homework before hitting the shops, because she bought me a book about travel writing and photography and a warm scarf for our cold Northern climate. I've been perusing the book and have had a few good chuckles as the authors describe the "stereotypical" editor and talk about how some editors are basically the worst human beings, ever. OUCH! I promise, I don't fit the stereotype. I'm lovely, I swear!

Did you buy any of your Christmas gifts secondhand? Aside from this swap, most of my gifts were handmade, but I think in the future, I'll make a greater effort to explored the thrift shops in town.
There are always treasures to be found!


For all of you who participated in Gift of Thrift, link-up, so we can head over to your blog and see what you received!

9 comments:

  1. this is amazing!! Erin really did do a great job w/ your gift w/ that book! and that scarf, i love the colors together! there was a delay in my gift (my secret santa emailed me) but I hope to get it and share soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- these are perfect gifts for you! I'm glad you were able to join in and represent Canada :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you liked the gifts! I was hemming and hawing about everything at the store so I'm glad they are something you got a kick out of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this gift from Erin! Yay! :) I think this swap was a hit! We definitely need to make this an annual event! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. It was really fun to creep from afar and to go shopping for someone. I loved this little swap. I'll certainly be around next year. :)

      Delete
  5. The only presents I bought at the thrift store this year were yours, but I can definitely see it becoming a habit! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally got my post up - sorry it took longer than expected. I actually did thrift quite a few things for my family this year. My sister is a lot like me and is into collecting old things from yesteryear (fancy way of saying the 90s) so secondhand stores are a mecca of that cool stuff!

    Thanks for hosting a link up on your blog, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you two are lovers of the 90s. It was certainly a wicked decade. I'm so glad that you liked your parcel. It really was fun to put it together for you!

      I look forward to seeing an outfit post with the scarf. ;)

      Delete
  7. This is such a cute idea... I've stumbled upon it too late, but I'd love to be involved in a UK version in the future. I'm following your blog now... feel free to come across and take a peek at mine!
    http://makethriftlovelife.blogspot.com

    Gayle x

    ReplyDelete