Thursday, March 6, 2014

What to Wear: 100% thrifted

Friends, I failed. When I set up this prompt, I thought to myself, "no problem, my closet is CHOCK FULL of thrifted finds." But I forgot about one important staple in every outfit: shoes! You see, I can hardly ever find shoes in thrift stores. The truth is I have unfortunately shaped feet. I wear a size five in length, but kids shoes are just WAY too narrow for my fat feet and you rarely find a pair of five wide in a shoe store let alone a thrift shop. So, please forgive the footwear today. I promise you I have tried to find shoes in thrift shops and I assure you the only wide shoes I've found are made for grandmas—velcro and all!

In other news, the rest of my outfit—including accessories—is from Value Village. In fact, I bought each and every item when I was in Edmonton last month. Did you know that city has multiple VVs? It's amazing. I always hit at least one while I'm there, but this time, I managed to rummage through two (and a Goodwill!).

I am in love with this top and I love it even more combined with this gorgeous cardigan. Isn't the colour divine? I seriously can't get enough of it.

So there you have it: my 90% thrifted outfit. I hope the other ladies did better than me. I can't wait to see what they've put together. And, if you-out-there—hi!—have a thrifted outfit to share, please link-up, we'd love to see it. And if not, we'll see you back here on March 20 when we show off our favourite cardigans.

11 comments:

  1. Love your outfit! I'm really impressed that you bought everything in it in one go. That teal color is lovely on you. And I think shoes are totally forgivable! There are just some things that are almost impossible to thrift.

    I went through a similar process. At first I was like "Wow! A 100% thrifted outfit! What a fun and relatively easy challenge!!" Then I realized the only outfit I could come up with was a workday/hiking sort of ensemble. :-)

    Anyway, thanks for this challenge. It was enlightening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOVE these colors and that cardi with the print on that top are perfect together! I really love Value Village and wish we had one down here. Apparently our sister store is Savers, which is good but not the same! Dang you have small feet! I wear a 6 and don't find that many shoes at the T store in my size, I can't even imagine how hard it'd be to find a 5. You have a good excuse to be 90% ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the jewel tones in this post! I'm such a sucker for saturated colors and teal is one of my favorites.

    Unfortunately I couldn't quite make it to 100% either - not only was the weather in DC not trench coat friendly I don't have a thrifted top >.<. The chesticle area does not lend itself to off the rack very often and in thrift stores/consignment shops it's even more unlikely to find something that fits. But we tried, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That you buy pants at thrift store amazes me--I feel like I don't have the patience required for it. I guess I also just don't like pants that much, so that probably factors into the little patience part. Your colors are just all kinds of spot on, ma'am! I love the turquoise, yellow & gold (earrings). So good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh how fun! i think i'll have to try styling something up a bit late & finally give your challenges a try, this is a great one & my closet is chalk full of thrifted finds too. and yeah, i totally hear you on the shoes, until recently i had pretty good luck thrifting shoes but i my feet seem to have grown a tad and now it's tricky. anyway, awesome on the rest of the outfit, & tot understandable on the shoes : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this outfit! That cardigan is awesome! Finding good shoes at thrift shops tends to be hard regardless of foot size and shape. I say 90% totally counts.
    Oh and I love the dresser that's on the side in the first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the same way with finding shoes!! My feet are apparently not the same shape as the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely get a gold star for trying! I also struggle with thrifting shoes except my feet are the opposite - they're a size 11! It's another one of those rare sizes you almost never find.

    That shirt is pretty darn cute! What are the odds of finding a cardigan in almost the exact same color? That's some good luck right there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that necklace!! And finding shoes at a thrift store is tough. I have one pair--the ugliest and yet warmest winter boots you'll ever find, for 50 cents. That's my own shoe success. And, funny you should mention it, when I was at the thrift store yesterday I saw an extremely Grandma-ish pair of wide-sized shoes. They were bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got a speech bubble above your head!! Shuttup!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally impressed by this outfit. I also feel your shoe pain- I'm really a uk size 2 but can get away with lace up size 3 ( I think a 5 US!) I do occasionally find secondhand shoes, but they are by far the trickiest.

    I really love your blog.

    Gayle x
    http://makethriftlovelife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete